Join The Diggers Club team and Adelaide Botanic Garden staff at Heirloom Weekend, celebrating heirloom vegetables, plants, seeds and produce, and featuring live music and children’s activities.
The term ‘Heirloom’ means traditional varieties of plants or breeds of animals that aren’t associated with large-scale commercial agriculture.
Join in FREE expert-led workshops, see fabulous heirloom vegetable displays as well as goats fleece being spun into mohair, hand goat shearing demonstrations, old variety chickens and bees, baked goods, produce and preserves to take home and enjoy.
A gardening and preserving Masterclass with Gardening Australia’s Sophie Thomson and Masterchef finalist and Adelaide restaurateur Andre Ursini will also be on offer.
Highlights of the weekend include;
- Free workshops and information: learn how to grow award-winning garlic (10.30am), choose the best flowering perennials for your garden (12.30pm) and sow seeds for autumn (2pm) on the Schomburgk Pavilion, both days.
- Cultivate, Preserve and Consume Masterclass: Book into Diggers’ special masterclass (11am to 2pm in the Noel Lothian Hall) and learn cultivating tips from Adelaide’s favourite television personality Sophie Thomson, and preserving secrets with MasterChef finalist and Adelaide restaurateur Andre Ursini. Afterwards, share Italian-inspired tasting plates using produce from Sophie’s Patch, cleverly created by Andre.
- Produce Market: includes fruit and veg, bakery, honey/preserves, eggs, ethically sourced and organic décor.
- Heirloom produce display: marvel at the kinds of heirloom produce you can grow at home – the kinds of fruit and vegetables you won’t see on the big supermarket shelves.
- Live music: soak up relaxed summer tunes with good friends and family.
- Kids’ activities
- Guided walks: take a one-off heirloom guided walk, discovering intriguing corners of the Adelaide Botanic Garden. Departs from Schomburgk Pavilion, 11am and 2pm each day.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Botanic Gardens of South Australia website.
What: Heirloom Weekend
When: Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 April 2017 | 10am – 3pm
Where: Main activities centred on lawn between Diggers Garden Shop (Schomburgk Pavilion) and First Creek | Adelaide Botanic Garden, North Terrace
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!