The Perfect Popcorn | How to make it
You’ve heard how microwave popcorn has so many additives which are not good for you. Well, we’ve recently discovered this fool-proof way of making popcorn that we just had to share so you can make it from corn kernels, and it really doesn’t take much longer than the microwave kind. Plus it’s a much healthier and cheaper way to make it.
What You Need
- 3 Tablespoons of Canola oil (or similar)
- 1/3 cup of corn kernels
- 1 Tablespoon of butter (optional)
- Salt to taste or sprinkle icing sugar for a sweet version
- Large saucepan or pot with a lid
How to Make it
1. Heat the oil on medium to high heat
2. Put a few kernels into the pan (3 or 4) and cover with lid.
3. When these kernels pop, add the rest of the kernels into the pan in an even layer. If you are including salt, add it to the oil before adding the kernels so it will distribute while popping.
4. Cover with the lid and remove it from the heat. Count 30 seconds (you can get the kids to help with this).
By doing this it brings all the kernels to a consistent temperature so that when they are put back on the heat they will all pop at around the same time.
5. Return the pan to the heat and very soon all the kernels should pop almost all at the same time (which makes this method very quick). Once they start popping, give the pan a bit of a shake backwards and forwards to distribute the popcorn around.
If you keep the lid a little bit ajar, it will allow steam to escape so the popcorn will be drier and crisper.
Once the popping stops, remove from the heat and put the popcorn into a big bowl immediately.
Add extra salt to taste or some butter if you like… or any other topping you like.
We’ve tested this method several times and it always works – no more unevenly cooked or burnt popcorn!
This is perfect for a family movie night in or put into little cups or bags for parties. Enjoy!
We found this method on Simply Recipes and adapted this original post.
All photos by Play & Go Adelaide.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out what’s on, where to go and what to do with the kids in and around Adelaide. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may even get the odd ‘special offer’ exclusively sent to our newsletter subscribers only!