2020 State of Origin Series Game 1 at Adelaide Oval
The 2020 State of Origin series between New South Wales and Queensland will kick-off in Adelaide for the first time in history after the National Rugby League (NRL) finalised venues for the Men’s and Women’s series.
Adelaide Oval will host the opening State of Origin match on Wednesday 4 November 2020.
Sydney’s ANZ Stadium will host Game II on Wednesday, 11 November and Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium will host a potential decider on Wednesday, 18 November.
NRL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Abdo said the game, led by the Commission, and its government partners had worked tirelessly with health officials to ensure Origin is showcased across three different states this year.
“State of Origin is the greatest rivalry in Australian sport and Australia’s most watched television event, it transcends the two states and captivates the interests of the entire nation. We are excited to play this historic game in in South Australia for the very first time,’’ he said.
“In recent years Origin has captivated Melbourne and Perth and we are cannot wait to see how the people of Adelaide respond. The interest from states, outside NSW and Queensland, to host our showpiece event is extraordinary.
Mr Abdo said the 2020 Origin series would celebrate four decades of the biggest rivalry in Australian sport and thanked the South Australian Government for their support of rugby league.
“The South Australian Government and the South Australian Tourism Commission have done an exceptional job to ensure our showcase event can proceed safely in Adelaide as planned. Right from the start of this pandemic our priority has been the health and safety of the general community and we will continue to work closely with authorities to ensure that.”
The NRL have confirmed the following in relation to the 2020 State of Origin Series:
- Whilst the dates and venues for each of the 3 games have now been confirmed, discussions are ongoing with Government and venue partners to finalise the total crowd capacity at each match.
- Fans who have already purchased general tickets, NRL Hospitality or NRL Travel packages will be contacted directly by either the NRL, Ticketek or NRL Official Agents in the coming days in relation to their purchase and options that are available to them.
- It is the patron’s responsibility to ensure they comply with the strict border measures that may restrict their entry into each state. The NRL encourages all customers to review the travel advise on the relevant Government websites.
- A two-week refund window has been created for fans who have purchased tickets but will not be able to attend the games.
- Tickets will be available for the public to purchase closer to the series once crowd capacities are finalised and the number of refunds determined.
South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said the match was a great opportunity to showcase NRL in SA, and a strong endorsement of Adelaide Oval’s outstanding COVID-19 management plans.
“It’s been a substantial amount of work by the NRL, SATC, SA Health and Adelaide Oval to develop a plan to make this happen for the fans. It is a terrific outcome and we can’t wait to welcome the first game of the State of Origin to Adelaide, and to help celebrate their 40th anniversary of origin matches,” he said.
Keep up to date via the official State of Origin Facebook page.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the NRL website.
What: State of Origin – Game 1
When: Wednesday 4 November 2020
Where: Adelaide Oval | War Memorial Drive, North Adelaide
Who: Rugby League Fans
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: State of Origin Facebook page
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!