Carnevale is a centuries old Christian tradition and is the last celebration before Ash Wednesday and the austere 40 days of Lent. Celebrated all over the world with masked balls, parades, popular theatre, songs, entertainment, folk dancers and other activities.
Carnevale is the only festival of its type in Australia. As one of the many festivals in South Australia it contributes to the proud tradition of the Festival State. It is an opportunity for South Australia’s Italian community to share its wonderful, vibrant culture and traditions with the rest of the community.
Carnevale brings Italy to your doorstep where you can enjoy the warmth and hospitality Italians are famous for. You are invited to join the Italian community as they celebrate their culture in a fun, cosmopolitan atmosphere. In the company of family and friends you can enjoy fabulous regional food and a glass of wine while experiencing anything from opera to fashion parades to cooking demonstrations.
Program highlights include:
- Regional cooking
- Carnevale Fratelli Café
- Technology Planet
- Live entertainment – singing and dancing
- Multicultural Saturday – African, Indian, Macedonian, Brazilian Dancers, plus tango and La Famiglia d’Aspromonte
- Traditional Italian Sunday
- San Remo Precinct: Cooking Demonstrations with popular Australian chefs & San Remo Brand Ambassadors PLUS Brasilia Coffee Masterclasses PLUS Kids in the Kitchen
- Face Painting by Sarah
- Mozzarella Stretching Workshops
- David De Vito – headline act
- Tony Pantano with Ross Maio
- Humphrey B Bear, Peter Salerno Magic Show & Star Academy for kids
- Umbrella a Cappella and various other choirs – Molfettese Singing Group & Monteverdi Singers
- Mira Sangregorio
- Al Fresco Stage with Mr Buzzy, A Party with Kate, Frank Loves Joan, Entertainment Adelaide and Allegria
- Zeppole Eating Competition
- Exhibitions including a 40 year retrospective of Italian Festivals
- Traditional Mass – various choirs
- Exclusive Fashion shows – four a day
- Artisans doing traditional lace making, violin making, painting and cartoon caricatures
- Carnevale Cup – Soccer Competition for Under 12s
- Motor show: Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo, Scuderia Italia, Ferrari, Ducati, Belcar
- Fencing Demonstrations
- Italian Wine Seminars
- Schools’ Displays
- Spectacular Fireworks
- Commercial booths
- Air-conditioned comfort inside pavilions
The full program can be viewed on the Carnevale website here.
The schedule for the Al Fresco Stage can be viewed here on the Carnevale website.
Other entertainment information can be accessed here on the Carnevale website.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Carnevale website.
When: Saturday 6 & Sunday 7 February 2016
Where: Adelaide Showground | Goodwood Rd, Wayville
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out what’s on, where to go and what to do with the kids in and around Adelaide. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may even get the odd ‘special offer’ exclusively sent to our newsletter subscribers only!