Carnevale is a centuries old Christian tradition and is the last celebration before Ash Wednesday and the austere 40 days of Lent. Carnevale is celebrated all over the world with masked balls, parades, popular theatre, songs, entertainment, folk dancers and other activities.
This Italian Festival returns to springtime in 2017 and is the only festival of its type in Australia. As one of the many festivals in South Australia it contributes to the proud tradition of the Festival State. It is an opportunity for South Australia’s Italian community to share its wonderful, vibrant culture and traditions with the rest of the community.
Italian Festival Carnevale brings Italy to your doorstep where you can enjoy the warmth and hospitality Italians are famous for. You are invited to join the Italian community as they celebrate their culture in a fun, cosmopolitan atmosphere. In the company of family and friends you can enjoy fabulous regional food and a glass of wine while experiencing anything from opera to fashion parades to cooking demonstrations.
Program highlights include:
- Regional cooking
- Italian Festival Cafe
- Live entertainment – singing and dancing
- Multicultural Saturday – Chinese, Indian, Macedonian, Brazilian dance acts, plus tango!
- Traditional Italian Sunday
- San Remo Precinct: Cooking Demonstrations with popular Australian chefs & San Remo Brand Ambassadors Adam Swanson & Laura Cassai PLUS Kids Sampling Sessions, Colouring in, Spaghetti Board game and Pasta Art
- Brasilia Coffee sampling station
- Lenniedin Face & Body Art
- Mozzarella Stretching Workshops from La Casa Del Formaggio
- JOHN ST PEETERS with Special Guest TERESA VEE – headline act
- MC: Rick Hutton – direct from Italy via London on the Main Stage
- MC: Daniela Di Fabio on the Al Fresco Stage
- Steve Presto Magician & Entertainer, Star Academy & making its Festival debut Alice & The White Rabbit Show for kids
- Choirs – Molfettese Singing Group & Monteverdi Singers
- Fusion Pops Orchestra – strings, rhythm & 12 voice choir
- Al Fresco Stage with Everybody Talks, A Party with Kate, Tarantella Competition with The Sopranos, Renae Albuino, Michela Capriccioni & Quentin Eyers, Andre Mosca,
- Italcanti, Allegria – youthful songbirds
- Elevate Duo – making their Festival debut
- Crowd favourites Tradition Trio & La Taccarata
- Giuliano Cameli – World Campion Piano Accordionist direct from Italy
- Isabella De Marco & Alexandra Mantis
- Radio Italiana 531 Singing Competition winners
- La Famiglia d’Aspromonte – traditional Calabrese dancers
- I Zanzarini da Molise
- The Rubys
- LEGIO 1TERRA AUSTRALIS – A Roman Invasion!
- Italian Festival Café
- Traditional Mass – various choirs
- Exclusive Fashion shows – four a day
- Fencing Demonstrations
- Schools’ Displays
- Artisans doing traditional lace making, violin making, painting and cartoon caricatures
- Carnevale Cup – Soccer Competition for Under 12s
- Motor show: Fiat 500, Alfa Romeo, Scuderia Italia, Ferrari, Ducati & the latest models from Solitaire Maserati & Solitaire Alfa Romeo
- Spectacular Fireworks
- Commercial booths
- Air-conditioned comfort inside pavilions
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Carnevale website.
What: Carnevale Italian Festival
When: Saturday 4 November (9am-11pm) & Sunday 5 November 2017 (9am-10pm)
Where: Adelaide Showground | Goodwood Rd, Wayville
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Carnevale Italian Festival
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!