The Year Everything Changes – Earth Hour 2020
Switch off to join the future and be part of the world’s largest environmental movement.
The impacts of the climate emergency are being felt across our country more than ever before. This summer alone:
- Over 12 million hectares of Australian land burnt during an extended fire season.
- Over 1.25 billion native animals perished in the catastrophic bushfires.
- Cities shrouded in toxic smoke haze.
- Farms and regional towns devastated by drought.
Now, millions of people are raising their voices for stronger and immediate climate action.
2020 is the year everything changes, which is why this Earth Hour is the most important one for our planet.
Will you sign up to #SwitchOff and raise your voice for nature?
Earth Hour is the world’s largest grassroots movement for climate change action. Millions of people in over 180 countries take part in Earth Hour by switching off their lights as a symbolic gesture to show that our planet needs stronger action on climate change. Earth Hour has come a long way. What started as an Aussie grassroots movement has grown the world’s biggest movement for climate change.
Our actions on climate change will shape the future for our children. Since they were born, our children have been taught to be active recyclers, aware of renewable power alternatives, and informed about the effects of pollution on our planet. They know more about climate change than any other generation. And they have extraordinary views on what they want for their planet. Switch off for the future of our planet.
Time & Date of Earth Hour 2020:
Earth Hour will be on Saturday 28 March 2020 at 8:30pm – 9:30pm local time.
Watch the 2020 Earth Hour Video below:
Earth Hour for the Kids:
See some past Earth Hour educational videos for the kids:
Some family games to play during Earth Hour:
- Freaky Faces – make sure you’ve got a torch; sit in a circle, and using a torch, see who can make the scariest face!
- Scare Bear – stand in a circle, someone is ‘in’, everyone else turns their backs to the person who’s in so they are facing out. The person who’s in has to try and scare the other people, one at a time, and the person who screams the loudest loses.
- Hide and Sneak – decide who’s in. That person counts to 20 with their eyes shut and everyone else hides. While the person who is in looks around the house, the people hiding have to sneak to a different spot. If they get caught they have to help look for the others. Everybody has to sneak at least once. The first person to get caught loses and is the next person to be ‘in’.
- Ready, set…sardines – it’s the reverse of hide and seek. The person who’s ‘in’ has to go and hide while everybody else counts to 20 with their eyes shut. Then everyone goes in search of the hider. Once the hider is found, each person who finds them must squeeze like a sardine into the same hiding spot, being careful not to make any noise. The first person to find the hider is the next person to be ‘in’.
- A shadow puppet show – Find a blank wall or set up a white sheet with some candles or torches behind. The kids can practice their shadow puppet hands and use sticks/leaves, etc, and make up stories that they know. Go online before the night begins to get some instructions on how to do shadow puppets.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Earth Hour website.
What: Earth Hour 2020
When: Saturday 28 March 2020 | 8:30pm – 9:30pm local time
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Earth Hour website
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!