If you haven’t taken advantage of the fabulous services at your local library yet, or want to find out more about what they offer the community, make a note to visit during Library and Information Week taking place from the 19th to 25th of May 2014. The 2014 LIW theme is Join the Dots and this event will promote all types of library and information services, the expertise and skills of the profession, and the key issues that need to be addressed to secure access to information.
The week aims to raise the profile of libraries and information service professionals in Australia and gives libraries and information services the opportunity to showcase their resources, facilities, events, contacts and services through different programs and events to the community.
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- find out about the wide range of services which local public and school libraries offer;
- recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education;
- recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions;
- debate our information future and government approaches to it;
- emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels;
- recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services;
- consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work and personal life.
Join the Dots
Monday 19 May 2014 | Information and Research Day and Australia’s Favourite Library
Tuesday 20 May 2014 | National Library Technicians’ Day
Wednesday 21 May 2014 | National Simultaneous Storytime – read more here
Thursday 22 May 2014 | Libraries celebrate Cancer Council’s Biggest Morning Tea
Friday 23 May 2014 | Together we are stronger: ALIA Day
For more information visit the Australian Library and Information Association website.
What: Library and Information Week
When: 19-25 May 2014
Where: National Event
Who: All Ages
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.