National Walk Safely to School Day
National Walk Safely to School Day (WSTSD) is on Friday 17 May 2019.
Celebrating its 20th year, National Walk Safely to School Day is an annual event encouraging all primary school children, their parents and carers, to walk and commute regularly and safely to school. It is a community event seeking to promote Road Safety, Health, Public Transport and the Environment. Apart from the physical benefits, regular walking also has a favourable impact on children’s cognitive and academic performance.
The objectives of WSTSD are:
- To encourage parents and carers to walk to school with primary school age children and reinforce safe pedestrian behaviour.
- To promote the health benefits of walking and help create regular walking habits at an early age.
- To ensure that children up to 10 years old hold an adult’s hand when crossing the road.
- To help children develop the vital road-crossing skills they will need as they become mature pedestrians.
- To reduce the car dependency habits that are being created at an early age and which will be difficult to change as children become adults.
- To promote the use of Public Transport.
- To reduce the level of air pollution created by motor vehicles.
- To reduce the level of traffic congestion.
How to get involved:
A kit containing WSTSD posters, stickers and information will be posted to every Primary School (Public, Catholic and Private) and Council in Australia. For parents and carers who have to drive, try parking the car at least 10 minutes away from the school.
Participate by walking to school on Friday 17 May 2019.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the WSTSD website here
What: National Walk Safely to School Day
When: Friday 17 May 2019 | Before and/or after school
Where: Schools across Australia
Who: School kids
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: National Walk Safely to School website
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!