National Parks SA Park of the Month for May 2018 is Para Wirra Conservation Park
To celebrate Para Wirra Conservation Park as May 2018 Park of the Month, National Parks SA are offering free vehicle entry all month. Go along and check out the park’s new nature play forest and new walking trails, just 15 minutes from Gawler.
Para Wirra Conservation Park north of Adelaide covers 1500 hectares of bush, and it’s the perfect place for hiking, picnics and barbecues, cycling and nature play.
Campsite bookings are also now open, so to celebrate, National Parks SA are giving five lucky groups the chance to have the campground to themselves on Saturday, 26 May 2018, plus a guided ranger activity, a 12 month Multi Park Pass and campfire breakfast the next morning. To enter, see their Facebook page here for details. Competition ends Saturday 8 May 2018.
With free park entry for the entire month, it is a wonderful time to explore the park and join in the numerous free events and activities on offer, including:
- Ranger guided morning bird walk
- Come and try orienteering
- Art in the park
- Mother’s Day picnic
- Plant at the camp
- Fungi and medicinal flora guided walk
- Trail Running SA
- Friends of the Heysen Trail walk
- Ranger guided Grand South Para Hike
- Bowden’s Cottage open days
National Parks SA have put together their list of TOP 5 things to do as Para Wirra Conservation Park:
- The Lake | With a beautiful water view, gas barbecues, picnic tables and a 1.6-kilometre loop trail accessible for wheelchairs, prams and bikes, the lake is the perfect spot for an afternoon outside. Dogs are allowed in Para Wirra on a leash, so it’s a great spot for the whole family to enjoy.
- Gawler View and Lizard Rock | Gawler View is another terrific place to base yourself for an afternoon, with an oval for kicking the footy or throwing the Frisbee, gas barbecues, picnic tables and shelters, accessible toilets, and plenty of trees for shade. There’s also the brand new nature play forest, featuring a nature discovery walk and terrific flying fox. And the great news is the flying fox is rated for up to 140 kilograms, so the adults can have a go too.
- Devil’s Nose Lookout | If you love the Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty hike and are looking for something new, try the Devil’s Nose Hike. This is a hard, two-hour trail ideal for walking or trail running. You can start from the lake or the Devil’s Nose car park, and you’ll be rewarded with stunning views over the park and down into the gorge.
- Barossa Goldfields | You can learn more about the rush by following one of the interpretive walking trails in the northern section of the park. They all start from the Bowden’s Cottage Museum, and you can choose from the Victoria Hill, Phoenix or Lady Pearce circuit hikes, which range from 45 minutes to four hours. Just be sure to keep to the trail as you walk, as there are dangerous mine shafts nearby.
- Camping | Bookings opened for camping at Para Wirra on 1 May 2018, and from 1 June this year, you’ll be able to enjoy overnight stays at Wirra Campground. Wirra has 19 clearly marked sites, including six for campervans, and flushing toilets, barbecues and a modern camp kitchen. It is the second new national park campground within an hour of the Adelaide CBD, after Pink Gum Campground at Onkaparinga River National Park in the southern suburbs, which opened in 2017.
For more information regarding the TOP 5 activities at Para Wirra Conservation Park, CLICK HERE.
For more Park of the Month information and all enquiries please visit the National Parks SA website.
What: Park of the Month – National Parks SA
When: May 2018
Where: Para Wirra Conservation Park | Park of the Month
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: National Parks SA Facebook page
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!