SA ROCKS is a little bit of creativity and nature play for kids and parents that live in South Australia. Go hunting for painted rocks in your local park, or paint some and hide for others to find!
Inspiration for SA ROCKS came predominately from the first statewide group WA ROCKS. SA ROCKS then adapted the concept and brought it to South Australia, locally initially, but after high interest from people outside of the local area, it decided to go statewide and be accessible to all South Australian residents, far and wide!
SA ROCKS prides itself on being entirely volunteer run and FREE to the community.
How it all works:
Paint a Rock!
- Use unpolished, clean, dry rocks. SA ROCKS recommend natural river stones. Glass and ceramic ones are not advisable as they can shatter when dropped resulting in injury.
- Acrylic paints & permanent markers work best.
- Rocks must be sealed prior to release so they hold up to the elements.
- Please make sure you write “SA ROCKS” and the [f] Facebook symbol on the back and seal it so people know what to do with their discovery and how to find SA ROCKS!
- Pop your postcode on the rock so people can see how far it has traveled!
- For more tips on rock painting please refer to the files section on the SA ROCKS Facebook group page which you can join HERE.
Find a Rock!
- You can search the SA ROCKS Facebook group page HERE for your suburb name, or local park name, to see if anything has been hidden there recently – just use the search bar at the top of the group page.
- Be sure to check comments for updates before you head off to avoid potentially looking for a rock that has already been found and moved.
When you’ve found a Rock!
- Artists love to see pics when their creations are found, and love to see them move from park to park spreading joy, so if you find a rock please post a pic stating where it was found on the page, then you can either:
- Re-hide it- you can do this at the same location or move it elsewhere. Be sure to let everyone know you’ve found it and repost the new location INCLUDING SUBURB on the SA ROCKS page when hidden
- OR Keep it, and leave a comment on the ‘hide’ post advising it’s no longer there.
SA ROCKS support a “catch and release” system, but do understand keeping your favourite from time to time. If you choose to keep perhaps consider trying your hand at painting some of your own for others to find! SA ROCKS love to keep the wild rock population thriving so please be considerate of others when hunting and share the joy where possible!
Make sure to join the SA ROCKS Facebook Group Page HERE to keep up to date with the SA ROCKS community!
For more information and all enquiries please visit the SA ROCKS Facebook Group here
What: SA ROCKS Activity
Where: All around South Australia (see search details above)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Credit: SA ROCKS Facebook/Instagram pages
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!