Celebrate Market Week in September at the Adelaide Central Market!
Rediscover the Market and celebrate the first week of Spring during Market Week – a week long festival of activities including giveaways, tours, tastings, super specials, cooking classes, music and more!
Market Week highlights include Fine Food Forage, a cooking school with an Adelaide icon, Lucia’s, a performance from the State Opera, daily Happy Hours and Market lunchboxes.
For the Kids | FREE
- Saturday 6 September
- For our littlest foodies the final day of Market Week will feature lots of free activities for the next generation of Market shoppers.
- Activities will include a street theatre performance by Dr Rube, face painting, balloon giveaways and the Market’s ‘paint a pot, plant some seeds’ workshop.
- 9am – 11.00am | Facepainting | Gouger Dining area
- 9am – 11.30am | Kids Gardening | Grote St Dining area
- 9am – 12pm | Balloon giveaway | Roving
- 12pm – 12.30pm | Street Theatre by Dr Rube | Grote St stage
- 12.40pm – 1.10pm | Street Theatre by Dr Rube | Gouger St stage
Market Lunchboxes $10pp
- Daily – Wednesday 3 September to Friday 5 September @ 12-2pm
- Discover the delights of the Market with a quick, healthy lunchbox full of our handpicked Market favourites! Enjoy your lunchbox on the sunny Grote St footpath, which will be transformed into comfy street dining, complete with tunes by some of Adelaide’s favourite buskers.
- $10 per lunchbox. Some lunchboxes will be available for purchase on the day (subject to availability).
- Lunchboxes available for purchase from 25 August.
Lucia’s Cooking School $45pp
- Tuesday 2 and Thursday 4 September @ 6pm, Market Kitchen
- For two nights only, the ladies of Lucia’s – Emma, Maria and Nicci -will share the secrets to their perfect pasta making using the hands-on techniques passed down through the generations, from the Lucia’s founder and family matriarch, Lucia Rosella.
- Ticket includes class, meal, glass of wine and Lucia’s take home product.
- $45pp Bookings essential. Click here for details.
- Daily Tuesday 2 to Friday 5 September @ 10am & 3pm
- As part of the Market Week celebrations, twice a day, every day the Market will go on sale!
- When the clock strikes 10am and 3pm each day it’s on for young and old with SUPER SPECIALS at every participating stall.
- Check with your favourite stall for their daily special!
Cooking demonstrations FREE
- Daily – Tuesday 2 to Saturday 6 September @11am
- Throughout Market Week traders and producers will be sharing a bit about their products on the Gouger St demonstration stage.
- All demonstrations will feature signature Market products and explore recipes and techniques to use fresh produce.
- All producer demonstrations are free and will be held on the Gouger St stage (bookings not required).
Appreciation Sessions $12-$18
- Tuesday 2 September – Friday 5 September @ 9.15am & 1pm
- If you’d like to get hands on with some great Market produce and learn a bit more about what’s available around the Market, then Market Week Appreciation Classes are definitely for you!
- Hosted by an industry expert, the diverse schedule of appreciation classes include Scary Cheese, Charcuterie, Enchanting Mushrooms, Coffee Quaffing, Fruit & Veg Forage and a class especially for Bacon Lovers!
Opera in the Market FREE
- Thursday 4 & Saturday 6 September @ 10am
- Be entertained by singers from State Opera South Australia as they serenade you will classic arias and duets from opera repertoire and take you away from the hustle and bustle into a world of love, deception and drama.
- Thursday 4 September performers include Naomi Hede and Joshua Rowe with pianist Andrew Georg.
- Saturday 6 September will include performers Fiona McArdle with Joshua Rowe and pianist Andrew Georg.
Music & Performances FREE
- Throughout Market Week the Adelaide Central Market will host Adelaide’s most talented musicians and street theatre performances.
Spring Market Party FREE
- Friday 5 September @ 5 – 8pm
- Celebrate Spring at the Central Market with wine tastings, local music and a giant roasted Porchetta from Marino Meats.
OzHarvest Garden of Goodness
- Help to fight food waste by donating to OzHarvest’s Garden of Goodness. Plant your own veggies that represent the meals you have saved.
The Adelaide Central Market is always a fun place to visit and a great way for children to explore a wide range of nutritious food – as well as lots of delicious treats. We love the market for breakfast on the weekend (read our review here).
For all enquiries about Market Week visit the Adelaide Central Market website here.
What: Market Week
When: Tuesday 2 – Saturday 6 September 2014 (see trading hours below)
Where: Adelaide Central Market | Grote Street/Gouger Street, Adelaide
Adelaide Central Market – Normal Trading Hours
- Monday CLOSED
- Tuesday 7am – 5.30pm
- Wednesday* 9am – 5.30pm
- Thursday 9am – 5.30pm
- Friday 7am – 9pm
- Saturday 7am – 3pm
- Sunday CLOSED
(Please check the Market website during holiday times as their trading days and times may be affected by public holidays)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.