Science Alive! & Tonsley Open Day
A partnership between Tonsley and Science Alive!, this FREE family-friendly event gives members of the public the opportunity to see, hear and touch the innovations and technologies being developed or utilised at Tonsley.
In 2008, the last car rolled off the Mitsubishi manufacturing line at Tonsley. Ten years on, the site has been transformed into Australia’s most awarded innovation district. Now it’s time for Tonsley to open its doors and showcase the amazing open space and innovative businesses and organisations housed within this once-fenced-off 61-hectare site.
Registrations are not required and this is a FREE event.
Activities at Tonsley Open Day include:
- A tour of Tonsley
- Take a ride on FLEX, the Flinders Express driverless bus
- Try a tasty HydroDog cooked on a hydrogen-powered BBQ, thanks to the Australian Gas Infrastructure Group and the Rotary Club of Tonsley
- Be transported to another world with a Virtual Reality Gaming station managed by Ignite VR
- Get a free home energy bill health check by ZEN Energy. Pre-book to secure a spot here
- Go for a spin in myCar’s 100% electric Tesla Model X with its stylish Falcon Wings (upwards opening doors)
- Explore TAFE SA’s main street at Tonsley and get hands-on with a fun range of activities reflecting the broad range of training it offers
- See Micro-X’s Carestream DRX Revolution Nano, the world’s most advanced portable x-ray imaging system
- Master the skies in the Drone Zone managed by FPVR Drone Racing League.
- Take a tour through LifeLab, the Global Centre for Modern Ageing’s world-class living laboratory
- Have a hit of squash in Squash SA’s 24/7 all-glass squash court
- Meet Baxter, resident robot in Flinders University’s Tonsley Manufacturing Innovation Hub
- Take a look through ZEISS’ ultra-modern facilities and check out the technologies that make them the leaders in optics and optoelectronics
- Be mesmerised by the Voxon, the worlds’ most advanced 3D volumetric display
- Jump inside a Humanihut shelter and use VR to see how they can be used to help people at their time of greatest need
- Ride a City of Marion blender bike and make your own fruit smoothie
- Take a step back in time and admire a number of classic Chryslers that were built at Tonsley several decades ago
- Speak with the Tonsley Village team to find out about the appealing terrace homes and apartments on offer.
Discover Tonsley Passport:
As you visit each location make sure you get your Discover Tonsley Passport stamped. You will receive this as you enter the MAB. Get enough stamps and you will also receive a free hologram pyramid, which you can use to make your own holographic video at home using your phone or tablet. You can also go into the draw to win one of three great prizes.
Science Alive! Activities:
Science Alive! brings together the South Australia’s big names in science and technology, industry leading organisations, a host of community and not for profit groups, and a large number of science-related organisations providing hands-on fun that is interactive, dynamic, fun, and educational for all ages.
Activities offered include:
- Get wiring in a SciWorld Robotics workshop
- Slime it up at the ever-popular SciWorld Slime making stand
- Create huge smoke rings with two Smoke Cannons
- Get a green thumb with the Junior Field Naturalists nature activities
- Watch out for the Daleks built by the Australian Dalek Builders Union
- Learn about invertebrates at the Bugs n Slugs stand
- Gaze in wonder in the SciWorld Digital Starlab.
- Stage shows in the MAB throughout the day including Dr Quark’s Scientific Circus and the SciWorld Explosive Science Show
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Tonsley website.
What: Science Alive! & Tonsley Open Day
When: Sunday 24 March 2019 | 10am – 4pm
Where: Tonsley Innovation District | 6 MAB Eastern Promenade, Tonsley
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Tonsley Open Day Facebook event page
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!