Tennyson Dunes Open Day
Coastal beauty spot, Wara Wayingga-Tennyson Dunes Conservation Reserve, will be a-buzz with activity at its popular annual Open Day.
This year, Tennyson Dunes have a huge new project that you can be directly involved in. Join Sophie Thomson, of Gardening Australia fame, and help them build their very own Native Bee Hotel and Food Garden. By creating homes for harmless native bees you will help to recover bee populations in the dunes and ensure the survival of rare plants. They’ll also have native bee food plants that you can help plant around the hotel.
They will also again run a Mini Bio-Blitz, where you get to help the scientists identify the native coastal species. This information will be used by the Tennyson Dunes Group to improve management of the dunes.
The lineup of special guests includes Neville Bonney, Ali Ben Kahn, Dr Sarah Telfer, Catherine McMahon, Dr Murray Townsend, Peter Matejcic, Assoc Prof Victor Gostin and Prof Chris Daniels. There will also be children’s activities, talks by dune volunteers, dune gift sales, local environmental group information stalls and a BBQ by the Kiwanis.
Find the event on Military Road, between bus stop 32a and 32b. Parking available. Toilet facilities at Oarsman Reserve.
- Build a bee hotel with Gardening Australia’s Sophie Thomson to encourage native bees to the dunes to help pollinate vulnerable plants.
- Fascinating guided tours led by experts to learn about the unique animals and plants.
- Fun activities for children – Bee hotel construction, Bugs n Slugs, beach discovery stall
- Guided beach-combing walks.
- Kiwanis BBQ, coffee van and refreshments.
- Learning about dolphins, butterflies, sea shells and marine ecology at information stalls.
- Browsing stalls selling locally made, environmentally friendly gifts and native plants.
- Learning about volunteering with the Tennyson Dunes Group who help protect the dunes by growing native plants, re-vegetating and contributing to citizen science activities.
Full timetable of tours and activities:
- 9am – 10am | Birds of the Coast with Ali Ben Kahn
- 10am – 11am | Dune Plant Stories with Dr Sarah Telfer
- 10am – 11am | Native Food Plants with Neville Bonney
- 10:30am – 11:30am | Climate Change and Coastal Erosion with Dr Murray Townsend
- 10:30am – 11:30am | Natural History of the Tennyson Dunes with Assoc Prof Victor Gostin and Prof Chris Daniels
- 11am – 12pm | Insect Pollination of Coastal Plants with Jenna Draper
- 11:30am – 12:30pm | In Search of Dragons with Peter Matejcic
- 11:30am – 12:30pm | Sea Shepherd’s Microplastics Survey with Caroline Armstrong
- 1pm – 2pm | Protecting the Dunes with Christopher Naylor
- 1pm – 2pm | Native Food Plants with Neville Bonney
- 1pm – 2pm | Help Build a Native Bee Hotel with Sophie Thomson
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm | Dune Plant Stories with Dr Sarah Telfer
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm | Natural History of the Tennyson Dunes with Assoc Prof Victor Gostin and Prof Chris Daniels
- 2pm – 3pm | In Search of Dragons with Peter Matejcic
- 2pm – 3pm | Sea Shepherd’s Microplastics Survey with Caroline Armstrong
- 2pm – 3pm | Help Build our Native Bee Hotel with Sophie Thomson
Tour places are limited so make sure to book.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Facebook event page or Tennyson Dunes website.
What: Tennyson Dunes Open Day
When: Sunday 22 September 2019 | 10am – 3pm (see schedule above)
Where: Military Road, Tennyson (between bus stop 32a and 32b)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Tennyson Dunes Open Day Facebook event page
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!