Advice from SA Health on how to prepare your child for a COVID-19 test.
It’s a daunting thought for many who are yet to undergo a COVID-19 test for the first time, yet children understandably can have a higher level of anxiety and are likely to have lots of questions for their parents.
No matter your child’s age, preparing them for a COVID-19 test will help make the experience a little easier for them.
SA Health have listed the following tips on how to prepare your child:
- Paint a picture for them: describe in age appropriate detail what they can expect before you head out. This should include where they will go, who will be there, what they will see and how long it will take.
- Let them know that friendly staff will be wearing masks, caps, gowns and gloves to protect themselves and others from getting sick.
- Keep them distracted during the wait with their favourite toy, books, music, or a movie/TV show on your phone or tablet.
- Explain that they’ll put a little stick with a soft end in their nose and mouth, and that it won’t hurt but might feel funny.
- Plan a fun ‘reward’ that they will get at home after the test (your child will need to self-isolate until they’ve received a negative test result and their symptoms have resolved).
If your child doesn’t like being touched or gets scared in clinical settings, please let the staff know and they’ll work out a way to keep your child feel calm and comforted.
You can read Play & Go’s review of a family COVID-19 test at the drive through Victoria Park testing station here.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the SA Gov website.
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: SA Health
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!