Morphett Vale Railway Miniature Ride on Trains | Review
Set amongst the leafy natural bush landscape in Morphett Vale, south of Adelaide, is the MV Rail organisation who run train rides for countless families on the second and fourth Sundays of each month.
The club runs large scale locomotives including diesel and steam, pulling along open carriages with wooden seats to fit both adults and children. Once your entry fee is paid the rides are unlimited, with children under two allowed to ride for free, providing they are accompanied by an adult.
The railway has approximately 2km of track that loops through Wilfred Taylor Reserve. There are a couple of bridges, signs, lights and of course the station. An average ride takes about 15 minutes and there were about three trains running on the day we visited.
The waiting time for each ride depends on the queue, so it just depends on how busy it is on the day. This is a very popular place for family gatherings and is an ideal outdoor venue for birthday celebrations.
MV Rail has a small kiosk located on the opposite side to the ticket office. The extra facilities in this area are provided by the local council and include a playground, tables and park benches, free electric BBQ’s and public toilets.
There are large open space lawn areas for kids to run around and walking trails throughout the reserve where you’re likely to spot local residents walking their dogs.
MV Rail is a 7¼” gauge non profit club that provides a wonderful service to the community and an affordable price.
- All of the riding carriages are of gondola design for safety, and just like SASMEE Park Train Rides it is essential for all passengers to have enclosed foot-wear.
- Don’t wear your best clothing when travelling on these trains. Steam trains can emit hot sparks and steam at any time (the steam locomotives do not run on fire ban days).
- A daily ticket is available for just $7 per person (as at July 2016), which provides unlimited rides.
- Children under 2 years old ride for free.
- EFTPOS is not available at MV Rail – they operate on a cash basis only.
Click here for more information. (*closed December 24th)
What: Train Rides by MV Rail
When: 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month* | 1.00pm – 4.30pm
Where: Wilfred Taylor Reserve | Wheatsheaf Road, Morphett Vale (look for the signs!)
Who: Families, especially with children who love trains!
All images by Play & Go Adelaide 2013.
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.