Name The National Large Air Tanker Competition
Australian years 5 through to year 8 students from schools in regional and rural areas have the opportunity to submit entries to name the National Large Air Tanker.
On 23 December, 2021, the Australian Government welcomed the first ever National Sovereign Large Air Tanker and Emergency Management Australia, together with NAFC and AIDR, are giving young Australian the opportunity to name it. The competition allows young Australians to get involved and contribute to Australia’s disaster resilience.
At the start of Term 1, 2022, Australian years 5 through to year 8 students from schools in regional and rural areas will have the opportunity to submit entries to name the National Large Air Tanker.
The winning class will:
- Have their nominated name displayed on the National Large Air Tanker and will be invited to contribute to the design of the aircraft’s livery,
- Receive a visit from the Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Senator the Hon. Bridget McKenzie, to celebrate the success.
- The school and class will be featured in the Australian Journal of Emergency Management.
Entries must include:
- A suggested name for the new LAT
- An explanation of why they have nominated the name in the form of a written rationale of no more than 300 words.
- Eligible Classes can also submit a visual or audio representation of their suggested name for the new LAT in addition to their written rationale if desired.
- Each Eligible Class can submit one entry. Multiple entries from the same class or individual entries are not permitted.
Entries close Friday 11 March 2022 at 5pm.
About the Air Tanker:
The National Large Air Tanker provides a significant boost to Australia’s aerial firefighting capability. Large Air Tankers are extremely mobile and able to quickly deploy across the country, or to situations that may not otherwise be well served by aerial or ground firefighting resources. It can carry and drop 15,000 litres of retardant or water and will be an invaluable asset for firefighting efforts in difficult-to-reach areas across Australia.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the National Recovery and Resilience Agency website
What: Name the National Large Air Tanker
When: Entries close Friday 11 March 2022 at 5pm
Where: Enter online
Who: Regional/rural students in years 5 – 8
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: SA Fire Country Service Facebook
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!