National Railway Museum History Festival
Celebrate the annual SA History Festival – Behind Closed Doors.
There will be drivers experiences on steam locomotive Peronne and Bluebird railcar Kestrel, various carriages (not usually open) ready for tours. Plus, the 1940s Cafe car will be open, as well as Dave’s catering van.
Various carriages and areas, not usually accessible to the public, will be open for tours and inspection. Some of the key highlights will include:
- Overland Sleeping car ALLAMBI (built at Islington in 1949).
- Overland Sleeping car ONKAPARINGA (built in Melb in 1911).
- Broken Hill Express Sleeper BAROOTA (built at Islington 1900).
- Adelaide ‘JUMBO’ railcars 2006 2112 (built Adelaide in 1980).
- Woodville Signal Cabin (built in 1942) and now relocated and operational.
- Arnold Lockyer railway memorabilia collection.
Added attractions and activities will include:
- Memories from Ralph Skewes – Outer Harbor line photographic exhibition.
- 1947 built Cafeteria car from the East-West Express with food and drinks.
- Dave’s Catering van – food and drinks.
- Great family valued entertainment.
Entry includes (no extra charge):
- Train rides behind the little blue engine BUB (built in Adelaide in 1987).
- Train rides behind the full size steam locomotive PERONNE (built in Scotland and is 102 years old).
- Train rides in the Bluebird KESTREL (built at Islington in 1957).
All train rides are included with admission price. Entry tickets can be purchased each day, but there is no two-day weekend ticket. Drivers experiences are very popular and must be booked in advance.
- Adult: $18
- Family: $40
- Concession: $12
- Child (5-15 years): $8
- Child under 5: FREE
- NRM Members: FREE
For more information and all enquiries please visit the NRM website.
What: National Railway Museum History Festival
When: Saturday 15 & Sunday 16 May 2021 | 10am – 4:30pm
Where: National Railway Museum | 76 Lipson St, Port Adelaide
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: SA History Festival website / Play & Go
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!