Coles Quiet Hour
Coles’ low-sensory shopping experience, “Quiet Hour” will now be offered at 256 Coles supermarkets across Australia, tripling the number of stores its offered to customers since the national rollout in 2017.
Coles’ Quiet Hour offers a low-sensory shopping experience that’s easy on the eyes and ears by reducing noise, lighting and distractions instore to help make a difference to customers who find it challenging to shop in a heightened sensory environment.
Quiet Hour came to fruition thanks to one Victorian customer, David Brinkley, who reached out to Coles via Facebook in early 2017 with the idea to reduce noise at his local Coles store in Healesville to make it easier for parents shopping with children on the autism spectrum. Coles then partnered with Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect) to research what changes could be implemented in store to support customers with sensory challenges. The concept was then trialled in two Coles supermarkets in Victoria in August 2017. Following the success of the trial, Coles rolled out Quiet Hour to 70 stores nationally just three months later, and now it is at 256 participating stores nationwide.
Together with Aspect, Coles is creating a ‘no-judgement’ shopping space where people on the spectrum and their families can feel comfortable and welcome while they complete their shopping.
During Quiet Hour, customers will notice the following changes in participating Coles supermarkets:
- Lighting will be reduced throughout the store
- Coles Radio will be switched off
- Register and scanner volumes will be reduced to the lowest level
- No trolley collections and roll cages will be removed from the shop floor
- No PA announcements *excluding in case of emergencies
- Free fruit will be offered at customer service
- Additional trained team members will be available to support customers during the hour
Participating South Australian Stores:
Quiet Hour is held on Tuesdays from 10:30am – 11:30am every week.
- Berri Riverland Plaza | Kay Ave, Berri
- Tea Tree Plaza Westfield | 976 North East Rd, Modbury
- Parkholme | 319 Oaklands Rd, Parkholme
- Anzac Highway | Cnr Marion Rd & Anzac Hwy, Plympton
- Port Pirie Pirie Plaza | Grey Tce, Port Pirie
- Mount Barker | Cameron St, Mt Barker
- Firle Plaza | Cnr Glynburn Rd & Shelley St, Firle
- St Agnes | 1244 North East Rd, St Agnes
- Murray Bridge Green | 8-10 Riverview Road, Murray Bridge
- Reynella | Cnr Sherriffs & Hillier Rds, Morphett Vale
- Noarlunga Colonnades | 54 Beach Rd, Noarlunga Centre
- Port Lincoln | Liverpool St, Port Lincoln
- Edwardstown Castle Plaza | 992 South Road, Edwardstown
- Aldinga Beach | Pridham Blvd, Aldinga
- Kurralta Park | 153-164 Anzac Hwy, Kurralta Park
- Whyalla | Cnr McDowell and Nicolson Ave
- Gawler Green | 4 Tulloch Road, Evanston Gardens
- Mt Gambier | Cnr James & Elizabeth Sts, Mount Gambier
- St Clair | Cheltenham Parade, St Clair
- Churchill Centre | 390 Churchill Road, Islington
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Coles website.
What: Coles Quiet Hour now in 256 stores across Australia
When: Tuesdays from 10:30-11:30am weekly
Where: Participating Coles Supermarkets | See list above
Who: Those who find it challenging to shop in a heightened sensory environment
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Coles website
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!