Copper Coast Splash Town and foreshore playground – hours of fun guaranteed for everyone!
by Katrina Gogel
Located on the Copper Coast’s picturesque Moonta Bay foreshore is this wonderful family play space. Comprising a great little playground and free to use community water park, it will be sure to keep the young (and young at heart!) entertained for hours.
Moonta Bay’s Splash Town is a council run water park that is free to use and suitable for all ages. The water park offers 5 slides, 3 water mushrooms, a tipping water bucket and hours of fun for everyone!
There are a few bench seats and plenty of artificial turf to rest on but unfortunately no shade is provided in the water park. Come prepared with hats, sunnies and lots of sunscreen.
Signage on the fences outline the opening times and safety rules for Splash Town, but please note that it is best to check the Splash Town – Copper Coast Facebook page prior to visiting for up to date information and opening times, as these are subject to change.
Sometimes maintenance or weather issues have caused them to open later or shut earlier. The opening times vary during the season.
If you’re making a special trip to Moonta especially for the water park then please be sure to check with the Splash Town Copper Coast Facebook Page or the District Council of The Copper Coast website here for opening times to avoid disappointment. They post opening times regularly on this page.
The kids will be sure to have an absolute blast here and more than likely you’ll have to drag them away at the end of the day!
The Moonta Bay foreshore playground may be small, but it sure ticks a lot of boxes. Suitable for toddlers, the colourful playground boasts modern equipment, a large sail for shade, sandy base and is fully enclosed to ensure your child’s safety.
Tick, tick, tickety, TICK!
The playground offers:
- Monkey bars
- Slippery dip
- Rock climbing wall
- Fireman’s pole
- Spring surfboard
- Rocket rocker
- Climbing rungs
Situated a mere twenty metres from the beach, this playground has a prime location and lots of extra offerings for when your children have finished playing. Outside the fence you will find a lovely grassed area with park benches, tables and a BBQ shelter – making this a great spot for a beachside picnic lunch.
Two popular cafes are located across the carpark, and the jetty is a terrific place to take the kids for a stroll and a swim in the enclosed jetty pool.
With public toilets a stone’s throw away this well-maintained foreshore play area makes for the perfect pit stop on your Yorke Peninsula travels.
What we like about Moonta Bay Foreshore:
- The FREE Splash Town
- Shaded and enclosed playground
- Jetty swimming pool. When the tide is out it is perfect for little ones to splash and swim in
- The beach. Its shallow waters are wonderful for kids
- It’s a great place to spend a warm, sunny day!
- Enclosed Splash Town
- Enclosed playground
- Jetty with enclosed swimming pool
- Beach access via stairs
- Public toilets and change room (with disabled access)
- Park benches and tables
- Shelter with Electric BBQ’s
- Large carpark (suitable for caravans)
- Water drinking fountain
- Free WIFI courtesy of SA Tourism
- Rubbish bins
- Two cafes
Things to consider:
- The Splash Town is not patrolled. Safe use of this facility is your responsibility
- No shade is provided over the Splash Town
- Children under the age of 12 must be supervised at Splash Town
- Toddlers may need help with the ladder in the playground
Things to do nearby:
- Ride the Moonta Mines Train (check time table and ensure you arrive really early! We missed out the first time as the train was already full)
- See a movie at the Moonta Cinema
- Take a walk along the historic Moonta Main Street and grab a bite to eat from one of the wonderful cafes
- Eat Gelato at The Coffee Barn Gelateria- it’s delicious!
- Try your luck at fishing off the Moonta Bay jetty
- Take a dip in the fenced swimming area next to the jetty
- Go for a stroll on the Walk the Yorke trail along the foreshore
- Build sandcastles or explore the rockpools for crabs and fishes
- Stay at the Moonta Bay caravan park and have all of this family fun at your doorstep!
167 Bay Road, Moonta Bay
(Approx. 165kms from Adelaide)
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Copper Coast Council website.
What: Moonta Bay Foreshore and Splash Town
When: Check the Splash Town – Copper Coast Facebook page for opening times
Where: Moonta Bay, Yorke Peninsula
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: All photos by Katrina Gogel
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!