Naomi Hobson: Adolescent Wonderland Touring Regional South Australia
Inspired by her direct environment and ongoing connection to country, Naomi Hobson’s Adolescent Wonderland, first displayed as part of Tarnanthi’s Open Hands exhibition, is a series of photographs that tell the real-life story of young Aboriginal people in remote Australia.
The title of this series was inspired by the classic children’s novel Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Themes of youth, playfulness and childhood memories are evident in Hobson’s photographs. The brightly coloured figures and their props lure the viewer into a dream-like reality, much like how Alice follows the white rabbit.
Naomi Hobson is a Southern Kaantju/Umpila artist who lives in Coen, a small town of 360 people in the centre of Cape York Peninsula in far north Queensland. A multidisciplinary artist, she regularly works across the mediums of painting, ceramics and photography.
Adolescent Wonderland tours 11 regional galleries in South Australia from December 2021 until October 2023.
- Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery | Port Pirie | 11 Dec 2021 – 27 Feb 2022
- Port Augusta Yarta Purtli Gallery | Port Augusta | 15 Apr – 5 Jun 2022
- Nautilus Arts Centre | Port Lincoln | 10 Jun – 24 July 2022
- Roxbylink Art Gallery | Roxby Downs | 29 Jul – 18 Sep 2022
- Signal Point Gallery | Goolwa | 23 Sep – 13 Nov 2022
- Riddoch Art Gallery | Mount Gambier | 18 Nov 2022 – Jan 2023
- Naracoorte Regional Art Gallery | Naracoorte | 20 Jan – Feb 2023
- The Walkway Gallery Bordertown 3 Mar – 23 Apr 2023
- Murray Bridge Regional Gallery | Murray Bridge | 29 Apr – 18 Jun 2023
- Burra Regional Art Gallery | Burra |23 Jun – 30 Jul 2023
- The Hahndorf Academy | Hahndorf | 1 Sep – 8 Oct 2023
For more information and all enquiries please visit the AGSA website.
What: Naomi Hobson: Adolescent Wonderland
When: 11 December 2021 – 8 October 2023
Where: Touring Regional South Australia (see locations above)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Naomi Hobson, Southern Kaantju/Umpila people, Queensland, born 1978, Coen, Queensland, Road Play “She told Mum she was taking me for a ride down the road but she not.” Laine., from the series Adolescent Wonderland, 2019, Coen, Queensland, digital print on paper, 81.0 x 110.0 cm; Courtesy the artist and Redot Fine Art Gallery, © Naomi Hobson/Redot Fine Art Gallery.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!