National Families Week is Australia’s annual celebration of families.
National Families Week is a time to celebrate with your family, make contact with your extended family and friends, and share in the enjoyment of family activities within the wider community. It is a time to celebrate the meaning of family and to make the most of family life.
Each year, tens of thousands of people and hundreds of organisations celebrate the vital role that families play in Australian society. The theme for National Families Week is ‘Stronger Families, Stronger Communities’.
National Families Week coincides with the United Nations International Day of Families on 15 May. This day is observed by the United Nations to mark the importance that the international community places on families as the most fundamental units of society, as well as to show concern about their situation in many parts of the world.
All Australians, including community organisations, schools, councils, companies and individuals are invited to participate in National Families Week each year.
National Families Week is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
The National Families Week events which are open to the general public in South Australia can be found here.
For families and individuals, here are some ideas to help you get involved:
- Give kids lots of hugs and smiles
- Take time just to be with children
- Remember to look after adult relationships
- Ask for help if you need it
- Have a family movie marathon
- Have a family sports carnival
- Hold a family talent quest night
- Have a family games night
- Tell each other what makes your family great!
- ‘Adopt’ a granny or grandpa at the local nursing home or hostel
- Encourage your family to make short movies on issues important to them – and then hold a “Movie Premiere Night”
- Be active and eat healthy foods together
- Have a special family breakfast before work and/or school
- Let the children make dinner for the adults – and choose the entertainment!
- Organise a family walkathon
- Organise a street party
- Take some family photos or create a family album or book
- Download FREE colouring in sheets
The types of events are only limited by your imagination! Many of these ideas are interchangeable between organisations and families.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the National Families Week website.
What: National Families Week
When: Tuesday 15 May to Monday 21 May 2018
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out what’s on, where to go and what to do with the kids in and around Adelaide. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may even get the odd ‘special offer’ exclusively sent to our newsletter subscribers only!