Rymill Re-imagined – Upgrade Vision for Rymill Park
One of Adelaide’s favourite play spaces is in line for a major upgrade with new details officially released this week. Adelaide City Council has released a draft of their Master Plan which includes a host of proposed upgrades to Rymill Park, including a new inclusive playspace (read more here), new deck and amphitheatre, new rose retunda and plaza and a place for reflection.
The Master Plan establishes an overall new framework for the Park with four equally important parts: the vision, principles, actions and the overall plan. You can view the full document here.
The upgrade, to be carried out in partnership with the State Government, will go to the Adelaide Park Lands Authority for feedback.
The Council’s Vision Statement is the ‘big picture’ statement of what they want the Park’s future to be. The principles listed below expand on their vision and further describe how the Park will perform.
The Park is a welcoming, engaging and beautiful destination; and a premium event space for the city during the warm seasons, while also offering a broad range of recreational opportunities all year round.
Celebrate the entrances and connect beyond
- Attract people into the Park with design gestures which may take the form of paving, shelter, structures and planting
- Allow views in and out to the surrounding areas
- Encourage relationships with the surrounding city, suburbs and parks beyond by ensuring the Park remains open and inviting
Reinforce a central hub
- Provide a central focus with offerings, both permanent and temporary at the “heart” of the Park
- Ensure the elements and activities entice all, in particular families and children, on a daily basis
- Improve connectivity to key destinations
Balance formal and informal structure
- Strengthen the Park’s existing landscape structure with editing of planting
- Ensure the Park retains its enticing Arcadian qualities as well as remaining a coherent part of the Park Lands
Embrace events and activities night and day
- Build on the success of the Park as a major public events venue, as well as a much-loved destination for private functions
- Create a flexible setting for bespoke and eclectic activities and events, both planned and spontaneous, throughout the year
Respect Aboriginal culture and heritage
- Develop a Place of Reflection that promotes healing and encourages education to the wider community, and reinforces the important link of the park with Tandanya
Embed environmentally sustainable principles
- Ensure that all design and outcomes include interrelated ecological blue and green systems
The 6 Action Steps:
- Enhance the lake and surrounds
- Create an inclusive playspace
- Strengthen existing and create new event spaces
- Improve entrances and paths
- Reinforce the landscape character and features of the Park
- Create a Place of Reflection
For more information and all enquiries please visit the City of Adelaide website.
What: Rymill Re-imagined
When: Released April 2019
Where: Rymill Park, Adelaide
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: City of Adelaide
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!