The City of Onkaparinga is proud to present the seventh biennial South Australian Readers’ and Writers’ Festival. This year the festival not only celebrates writing as a valuable form of cultural expression, but also pays homage to the reader and the importance of reading. The community is invited to discover all that’s on offer at this year’s festival, with something for just about every age and taste there’s bound to be something to engage, educate and entertain you.
Festival highlights include:
- Friday 25 October Festival Launch, the Arts Centre, Port Noarlunga
- Saturday 2 November Fun for families at Thalassa Park, Aberfoyle Park
- Sunday 3 November Main festival day, the Arts Centre, Port Noarlunga People’s Choice Award presentation, panel discussion, keynote address and The Great Debate
Shakespeare’s Books – Silly Poetry with Mike Lucas
Suitable for children of all ages and childish adults. Bring your children along to hear mike recite some of his most ridiculously nonsensical poems.
- Sunday 27 October 2013 | 2.00pm
- Shakespeare’s Book & Coffee Shop | Shop 3, 7 Gawler Street, Port Noarlunga
- Cost – Free
- Phone – 8382 3343
Children’s Reading & Writing Picnic
South Australian children’s authors Janeen Brian and Amanda Graham will be supporting young writers using a smorgasbord of ideas taken literally from picnic baskets to inspire their thinking. The writers will be 8–12 year old students from local schools, but bookings from the public are also welcome.
- Wednesday 30 October 2013 | 10am–12noon
- Woodcroft Library | 175 Bains Road, Morphett Vale
- Cost – Free
- Phone – 8384 0050
Storybook Walk, Artwork Unveiling & Children’s Choice Award Presentation
Join mayor Lorraine Rosenberg as we celebrate the unveiling of the latest public art work for the Storybook Walk in Thalassa Park. The four main characters from the iconic children’s book, The Magic Pudding have been lovingly re-created by South Australian artist Steve Hayter and Showtrek, and installed in the magical sculpture park. The much anticipated announcement of the winners of the 2013 children’s choice awards, read and voted for by students in local schools will
follow the public art unveiling.
At the conclusion of the formalities you and your family can explore the wonder of Storybook Walk. Older children can join a fun workshop with Circus Elements whilst a delightful storytime session will be on offer for younger children.
- Saturday 2 November 2013 | 12.00pm–2.00pm
- Thalassa Park | Windebanks Road, Aberfoyle Park
- Sausage sizzle and drinks provided
- Cost – Free
- Phone – 8326 5577
What: South Australian Readers’ & Writers’ Festival 2013
When: 25 October – 3 November 2013
Where: Various Locations (see above or refer to full program)
Who: All Ages
Click here for more information.
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.