World Environment Day 2018 – “Beat Plastic Pollution”
World Environment Day is the United Nation Environment’s most important day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment.
This year’s theme, “Beat Plastic Pollution” is a call to action for all of us to come together to combat one of the great environmental challenges of our time.
The theme invites us all to consider how we can make changes in our everyday lives to reduce the heavy burden of plastic pollution on our natural places, our wildlife – and our own health.
While plastic has many valuable uses, we have become over-reliant on single-use or disposable plastic – with severe environmental consequences.
Facts about the effect of plastic on the environment:
- 500 billion plastic bags used each year
- 13 million tonnes of plastic leak into the ocean each year
- 17 million barrels of oil used on plastic production each year
- 1 million plastic bottles bought every minute
- 100,000 marine animals killed by plastics each year
- 100 years for plastic to degrade in the environment
- 90% of bottled water found to contain plastic particles
- 83% of tap water found to contain plastic particles
- 50% of consumer plastics are single use
- 10% of all human-generated waste is plastic
This World Environment Day UN Environment is asking you, companies and civil society groups, to take a concrete action to Beat Plastic Pollution.
Every World Environment Day has a different global host country, where the official celebrations take place. This year it is India.
#CleanSeas Break-Up PSA: “It’s not me, it’s you.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the World Environment Day website.
What: World Environment Day
When: Tuesday 5 June 2018
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: World Environment Day website
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!