Come along to the Museum during National Science Week for your chance to see the South Australian Museum in a whole new light.
The museum is opening its doors and sharing treasures, stories and hands-on experiences inspired by their collections. Tour the Science Centre (usually closed to the public); meet the scientists and researchers; learn more about the treasures on display in the museum’s galleries; try out hands-on activities which bring the science of the Museum to life!
Open day is your chance to delve deeper into the research and collections of the South Australian Museum.
- palaeontological dig pits for kids
- your final chance to vote for SA’s fossil emblem and view the special State Fossil display
- conservation and digitisation demonstrations by the Museum’s anthropology team
- hourly tours of the Museum’s permanent galleries
- family tours of the Museum with everyone’s favourite singing palaeontologist, Professor Flint
- hands-on activities in the South Australian Biodiversity Gallery
- behind-the-scenes tours of the Museum’s Science Centre (see further details in the separate event listing) and the chance to meet the museum’s scientists.
Open day activities at the Museum are free and bookings are not required.
Editor’s Note: Science Centre tours are free but have now sold out. To go on a wait list visit the Eventbrite website here.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the South Australian Museum Open Day Facebook event page here or the South Australian Museum website here.
What: South Australian Museum Open Day
When: Sunday 21 August 2016 | 11 am – 4 pm
Where: South Australian Museum | North Terrace, Adelaide
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out what’s on, where to go and what to do with the kids in and around Adelaide. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may even get the odd ‘special offer’ exclusively sent to our newsletter subscribers only!