The Grand Re-opening of Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary
Saturday the 1st of September, the first day of Spring, is the perfect time to bring life back to Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary; a South Australian icon and National Treasure.
Purchased by Perth couple David Cobbold and Narelle MacPherson in January 2017, Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary was founded in 1969 by Dr John Wamsely. Last owned by Zoos SA, the Sanctuary was sadly closed in 2013.
Celebrate the resurrection of Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary at their long awaited opening day with wildlife presentations, kids crafts, animal handling and sanctuary tours. This is a ticketed event, giving you full day access and admission to all of the following activities:
- 10am – 11am; 12:30pm – 1:30pm; 2:30pm – 3:30pm
- Get up close and personal with their amazing Animal Ambassadors. Allow the Keepers to introduce you to the critters that call Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary home. Hands-on and interactive. It’s educational. It’s entertaining. Now that’s edu-tainment!
- 10am – 4pm
- Running throughout the day, learn how to re-use regular household items, usually destined for the garbage, to create some amazing enviro-friendly products like bird feeders or worm farms.
- 10am – 11:30am; 12:30pm – 2pm; 2:30pm – 4pm
- Feel free to simply roam the Sanctuary at your leisure. However, if you would like a guided tour, with co-owner David Cobbold, or one of their very special guests, tag along. Learn about the Sanctuary’s controversial past, current situation, and visionary future. Tours provide a fascinating insight into Warrawong; “the people’s Sanctuary.”
- 10am – 4pm
- Throughout the day, you’ll have the opportunity to pat and hold a diverse range of Australian native animals. From John Snow, the albino carpet python, to Weasley, the Rufous Bettong joey. They say, “capture their hearts and their minds will follow.” They know, when you meet them, you’ll fall in love with their Australian animal ambassadors.
“The Shed” Coffee Lounge
- 9am – 5pm
- They’re slowly refurbishing the old cafe and can currently offer excellent coffee and a limited range of light meals, drinks, and snacks. With floor to ceiling windows, “The Shed” is a great sanctuary for humans wanting to daydream while they watch the amazing bird life outside.
Please remember this is a ticketed event, as numbers are limited.
Tickets: EDITOR’s NOTE 26 AUG 2018 – THIS EVENT IN NOW FULLY BOOKED
- Adults: $25
- Concession: $22 (Seniors & Disability*)
- Child: $18 (3** – 15 years old)
- Family: $70 (2A + 2C)
* Carer card holders are admitted for free. ** Children under 3 are admitted for free.
CLICK HERE TO BOOK TICKETS
PLEASE NOTE: Warrawong was last open to the public on 31 March 2013 (five and a half years ago), therefore it must be considered a work in progress. There’s a lot to do before they can return the Sanctuary to its former glory.
TAKE CARE: Some paths are eroded and sections of the boardwalk are uneven. Due to landslide, the rainforest is completely inaccessible. For new visitors, be aware, the Sanctuary features a steep descent/ascent, to and from the platypus habitat at Blackwater Lake.
MOBILITY ISSUES: All activities, except the tours, are on relatively flat ground, so there’s plenty to see and do for everyone.
Feel free to email Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary at email@example.com, or message them via their Facebook page if you have any concerns or questions.
Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary appreciate your understanding and support.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary website.
What: Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary Re-opening Day
When: Saturday 1 September 2018 | 9am – 5pm (SOLD OUT!)
Where: 47 Stock Road, Mylor
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary Facebook page
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!