For the 37th year running, the worldwide community of museums will celebrate International Museum Day on May 18th 2015. On this day, participating museums plan creative events and activities related to the International Museum Day theme, engage with their public and highlight the importance of the role of museums as institutions that serve society and its development.
Special events and activities will be organised in thousands of museums across the world to mark this festive day for the museum community. In 2015, the event will celebrate the theme: Museums for a sustainable society.
The theme Museums for a sustainable society recognises the role of museums in raising public awareness about the need for a society that is less wasteful, more cooperative and uses resources in a way that respects living systems.
International Museum Day will be celebrated in Adelaide with a number of About Time History Festival events, such as:
- Be a Kid on International Museum Day | National Motor Museum
- A Good Yarn | Onkaparinga Woollen Mill Museum
- Museums for a Sustainable Society: Botanic Gardens, a Case Study
- A Temporary Exhibition Created by YOU! (Port Adelaide)
- Archives Open! | State Records of South Australia
- Barossa Museum Open Day | Barossa Valley Archives & Historical Trust
- Flinders University Art Museum Collection Tours
- Yorketown’s History on Display
To view the full list of International Museum Day events click here.
There are dozens of museums in South Australia to visit each and every day so why not make plans on May 18th to explore your favourite one, or perhaps visit one you family has not been to before. Play & Go have compiled a list of museums to help make it easier to find one – take a look here.
For more information about this day visit the International Museum Day official website.
What: International Museum Day
When: Monday 18 May 2015
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.