The 2019 Santos Tour Down Under event will be staged in and around Adelaide, South Australia, from 10 to 20 January 2019, celebrating the 21st edition of the race.
Don’t miss the excitement Australia’s greatest cycling race brings to the city of Adelaide and surrounding regional towns during the January school holidays. Take a look at the stage maps and pick a spot from which to set up, sit down and view the cyclists as they wizz past!
City of Adelaide Tour Village
You can walk amongst the world’s best cyclists and check out the latest cycling gear in the City of Adelaide Tour Village, the heart and soul of the event. The largest Bike Expo in Australia is located in Adelaide’s CBD and this is the place to go to immerse yourself in all things Santos Tour Down Under and cycling. There are precincts dedicated to cycling, family, food and drink and of course the teams.
Watch the team mechanics at work, test ride the newest bikes, watch the race on the big screen, check out the latest cycling equipment, be inspired and deck yourself out like the pros or simply sit back with fabulous food and wine.
Along with all the offerings of the precincts, a daily entertainment program will make the City of Adelaide Tour Village the perfect place to visit on any or every day of the Santos Tour Down Under.
One of several new initiatives debuting at the Tour Village in 2019 will be the hugely popular urban biking experience StreetVelodrome UK, giving fans the unique opportunity to race for glory while enjoying the ambience of the week-long cycling celebration in the heart of Adelaide. CLICK HERE for registrations for come and try sessions, kids and open-age races.
Thursday 10 January 2019
- 8:00am | Race Day Breakfast @ Hahndorf
- 1:00pm | Brilliant Birdwood
- 4:00pm | National Junior Track Series
Friday 11 January 2019
- 7:30pm | The Advertiser Track Down Under
Saturday 12 January 2019
- 6:30pm | Team Presentation and Concert
- 8:00am | Race Day Breakfast @ Nairne
- 12:00pm | Stirling Spints
Sunday 13 January 2019
Monday 14 January 2019
- 5:00pm | Norwood on Tour Street Party
Tuesday 15 January 2019
Wednesday 16 January 2019
- 2:00pm | Wheels & Wine
Thursday 17 January 2019
- 9:00am | Lobethal – Let’s Go!
- 10:00am | Uraidla High Road
- 5:00pm | Unley Gourmet Gala
Friday 18 January 2019
- 12:00pm | Gear Up At Campbelltown
- 5:00pm | Aldinga Street Party and Markets
- 5:00pm | Glenelg Street Party
Saturday 19 January 2019
- 7:00pm | Legends Night Dinner
- 8:00am | Willunga Farmers Market
- 8:00am | Celebrate among the vines
- 2:00pm | Summer & spokes in Strathalbyn
Sunday 20 January 2019
- 9:00am | City of Onkaparinga Race Day Community Events
Santos Tour Down Under Stages
Sunday 13 January 2019 | DOWN UNDER CLASSIC
- START: 4:45 PM, Bartels Road, Adelaide
- FINISH: 5:45 PM ETA, Bartels Road, Adelaide
- DISTANCE: 51km (30 laps x 1.7km)
The Classic is the perfect opportunity to see the world’s best cyclists test their skills in the East End of Adelaide. This closed-circuit road race is a preview to the Santos Tour Down Under and sets the tone for the week ahead.
Tuesday 15 January 2019 | ZIPTRAK® STAGE 1
- START: 11:00 AM, O’Connell Street, North Adelaide
- FINISH: 2:29 PM ETA, St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide
- DISTANCE: 132.4km
The cyclists will ride north along Prospect Road before turning left onto Regency Road and then right onto South Road to connect with the Port River Expressway. From there, the peloton will travel into the Adelaide Hills, navigating through Snake Gully for three loops of Paracombe, Inglewood and Houghton before doubling back for a sprint finish in Port Adelaide.
Wednesday 16 January 2019 | STAGE 2
- START: 11:00 AM, The Parade, Norwood
- FINISH: 3:02 PM ETA, Murray Street, Angaston
- DISTANCE: 149.0km
From the Parade, the peloton will climb into the Adelaide Hills via Gorge Road and Chain of Ponds to take on Checker Hill just outside of Kersbrook. From there it zig-zags to Bethany where it will tour a number of Barossa townships – as well as their world-class producers and wineries – before the sprint finish in Angaston.
Thursday 17 January 2019 | SUBARU STAGE 3
- START: 11:00 AM, Main Street, Lobethal
- FINISH: 2:39 PM ETA, Greenhill Road (Main Street), Uraidla
- DISTANCE: 146.2km
From Lobethal, the peloton completes one loop through Charleston and nearby Woodside before setting out for a Subaru King of the Mountain Challenge at Fox Creek. From there, it makes its way through Forest Range south towards Summertown, where the riders complete six loops of the Uraidla, Piccadilly and Summertown townships before finishing in Uraidla.
Friday 18 January 2019 | STAGE 4
- START: 11:00 AM, King William Road, Unley
- FINISH: 2:24 PM ETA, Maryvale Road, Campbelltown
- DISTANCE: 129.2km
The popular hills towns of Stirling, Aldgate and Hahndorf feature as the peloton heads through for sprints at Echunga, before visiting Mount Barker and its nearby towns and then swings up back through the Hills towards the infamous Corkscrew climb and a downhill finish into Athelstone.
Saturday 19 January 2019 | STAGE 5
- START: 11:30 AM, Colley Terrace, Glenelg
- FINISH: 3:32 PM ETA, Dawson Street, Strathalbyn
- DISTANCE: 149.5km
From Glenelg, the peloton heads south down the Southern Expressway to Myponga before veering east towards popular coastal towns of Victor Harbor, Port Elliott, Middleton and Goolwa before climbing into the hills for the finish in Strathalbyn.
Sunday 20 January 2019 | BE SAFE BE SEEN MAC STAGE 6
- START: 11:10 AM, Main Road, McLaren Vale
- FINISH: 2:58 PM ETA, Brookman Road, Willunga Hill
- DISTANCE: 151.5km
The day will start in McLaren Vale, famous for its winemaking. The town is always in party mode during the race, when the peloton head for the iconic Willunga Hill. Fans flock roadside to cheer on their heroes in what is the deciding stage of the Santos Tour Down Under.
CLICK HERE for the SANTOS TOUR DOWN UNDER WOMEN’S STAGES
For more information and all enquiries please visit the official Tour Down Under website.
What: Santos Tour Down Under 2019
When: 10 – 20 January 2019
Where: Adelaide and surrounding regions, South Australia (see individual locations above)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Tour Down Under Facebook page & Play & Go
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!