New-look Marion Outdoor Water Park with Pool and Waterslides
The Marion Outdoor Pool has been transformed into a $4.5 million water park including waterslides and super-fun water play.
Review by Carla Caruso
The new-look Marion Outdoor Pool has flung open its doors for spring-summer – and, as we found, time there now feels like a ‘mini holiday’ in your own backyard.
While the 44-year-old pool was closed during the cooler months, the Marion Council was busy transforming it into the biggest outdoor water park in southern Adelaide (read more here). More than $1.9 million of new attractions have since been installed in time for this season, beginning Tuesday 6 October 2020.
- 9 metre high tower with four slides
- Giant tipping bucket containing 600L of water
- 59 sqm play area with water jets
- Shades, barbecues, landscaping, and paths
- Balinese hut for hire for parties
- Playground and outdoor gym
- An expanded site, and a meeting room for hire.
To ride the multi-slide, children need to be at least 90cm tall, and for the compact slide and aquatube, 120cm is the minimum height.
The giant tipping bucket emptying 600L of water with a huge splash!
Lots of fun with the water jets.
The Balinese hut is a great option to hire if planning to host a birthday party here.
New COVID-19 safety measures
There are now changes to the way people can use the pool including time limits, modified opening hours, and a new fee structure.
Please be aware that visitors must book online before arriving. BOOK HERE
This is to meet health directions and keep pool-goers safe.
Visitors can book to do lap swimming for an hour in the 50m, eight-lane, heated Olympic Pool. Or you can do ‘activities’ for two hours, covering the recreation zones and learner and toddler pools.
The two smaller pools are heated and fully shaded. The toddler pool has a maximum depth of 40cm and the middle pool is 60-90cm deep.
For the bigger kids, there’s also the 70m water slide, featuring a tunnel, and a speed slide where you can reach speeds of up to 31km an hour.
Due to feedback from the community since the water park opened, the Marion City Council has reviewed the pricing structure (23 October 2020). See pricing information below.
Recreation Sessions (2 hours)
Access to splashpark, learners’ & toddlers’ pools, fitness equipment & playground: Child under 4 years FREE | Child/Concession (4-14 years) $6.20 | General public $7.50 | Spectator $4.20 | Family Pass $23
To gain access to the 2 x large waterslides: 10 Pass Waterslides $8.50 | Unlimited Pass Waterslides $17.50
Inclusive access to splashpark, learners’ & toddlers’ pools, 2 x large waterslides, fitness equipment & playground: Individual Inclusive Ticket $23.00* | Family Inclusive Ticket (4x inclusive tickets) $78.00*
*Eligible for 25% discount for City of Marion residents
The latest work completes a $4.5 million revamp of the pool, which began in 2018 and included an upgraded kiosk, renovated building, shade umbrellas, a renewed car park, and upgraded change rooms. The council provided $4.35 million of funding, and the State Government $150,000.
Pool Play Dates – Monday to Friday, during the school term
Marion’s Pool Play Dates are fab for those wanting to catch up poolside on weekdays during school hours. Suitable pool toys are provided in the toddlers’ pool and there’s additional shade around the outside for caregivers to sit and enjoy a coffee.
Entry is $8.50 for one adult, and two children under the age of five. A regular hot drink is also included. These one-hour sessions are at 9.30am, 10.30am, and 11.30am. Again, bookings online are essential.
My boys had such a blast during their two-hour session one warm day after school. We even had an easy dinner there. The only challenge was dragging them away at the end! Afterwards, to further expend some energy, they had a play at the neighbouring Hendrie Street Reserve Playground too.
The kids left on an absolute high; it felt like we’d been away – no suitcases required!
What we like about the new-look Marion Outdoor Pool
- Access is easy-peasy with 155 car-parking spaces and parking for buses and motorbikes. Bike racks are located near the pool’s entrance too.
- Lockers can be hired for a small charge, and patrons can also make use of the well-maintained changerooms and showers.
- The kiosk on-site offers a wide range of hot and cold food and drinks.
- The pool has disability facilities including accessible change rooms, toilets, and paths, plus a lift system, so patrons with physical disabilities can enjoy a dip in the Olympic Pool. Also nearby is the Hendrie Street Reserve Playground.
- Swimming classes are available on-site.
Things to consider
- Your kids are bound to have so much fun they won’t want to leave! Tempting ‘bribes’ may be necessary 😉
- Bookings online are now essential due to COVID-19 safety measures – and only payments using tap-and-go or EFTPOS are accepted on-site. Click here to book online.
- There are also now changes to the way people can use the pool including time limits, modified opening hours, and a new fee structure.
Coffee and food options nearby
There’s a kiosk on-site offering healthy options, as well as kids’ favourites like nuggets and hot dogs. Alternatively, you can head to nearby Westfield Marion to fuel up post-swim.
For more information, please visit the City of Marion council website.
What: Marion Outdoor Pool – Review
When: Open from October to April (Monday – Friday from 7am to 7pm; Saturday, 7am to 4pm; Sunday, 7am to 4pm)
Where: Oaklands Rd (corner Hendrie St) | Park Holme, South Australia
All photos by Carla Caruso for Play & Go Adelaide
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!