Review of Light Cycles at Adelaide Botanic Garden
Light Cycles is a spectacular magical light trail that will leave you feeling as though you’ve stepped into another world. The digital artworks are mesmerising, incredibly beautiful and intriguing and they become more elaborate as the trail progresses past some of the stunning trees and garden features that Adelaideans know and love.
SEASON EXTENDED TO 22 AUGUST 2021
Light Cycles, incredibly, was created by the amazing crew from Moment Factory while onsite in Montreal in collaboration with Illuminate Adelaide. The result is a series of digital artworks, created using a combination of lasers, light effects, smoke and sound, accompanied by an original soundtrack. The Adelaide Botanic Garden provides the perfect backdrop for this artistic exploration looking at the connection between humans and nature.
All-in-all, the trail is around 2km in length and it takes you through favourite garden locations including the towering avenue of Moreton Bay Figs, the Wisteria arbour, the Australian Forest, the Bamboo Forest, the majestic lake with and the historic Palm House.
Highlights included the Crystal Grove, a field of glowing lights and illuminated majestic trees that appeared to continue for miles and had me completely transfixed.
The Reflection Lake was a stunning light show that created the illusion of hovering above the earth.
The Bamboo Forest – a stunning array of dancing coloured lights against delicate bamboo leaves.
The historic Palm House appeared almost ethereal as smoke, colour and light emanated from inside, outside and up to the sky.
Things to consider:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your ticket entry time where you will need to queue to await entry. There are plenty of friendly ushers on hand to answer questions and direct you to where you need to be.
- Each light display runs on a cycle of around 5 minutes and at times we had to queue and wait to see the next light display, so if you’re bringing small children, you may want to bring a small toy or book for these moments. Allow between 60 and 90 minutes to see the whole trail.
- The trail is roped off, however, in places it is dark and there are some places where open water is nearby. Ensure you have your children close by at all times. Likely, because it is quite dark in places, they will want to stay close to you.
- Something to note for those with sensory needs; there is haze, lights and music and queuing in crowds. As the trail progresses, there are more open spaces which allow for a bit of space and quiet.
- Reasonably priced parking can be found right next door at Lot Fourteen. Enter from Frome Rd at the traffic lights.
- For families with prams, the trail is quite even and pram-friendly. There is a low set of steps heading away from the Wisteria Arbour.
- There is a family-friendly food tent with tables, chairs, heaters, toilets and a handbasin. It is located not far from the entrance to Light Cycles and closer to Frome Rd. There is a wood-oven fired pizza, donuts, hot drinks, hamburgers and a bar here.
We think Light Cycles is a fantastic family friendly event that children will remember for years and we certainly hope it will return in 2022.
Masks will be mandatory at all Illuminate Adelaide events and will need to be worn for the duration. Please consider our environment and come prepared with your own mask.
Stay home if you are unwell.
All patrons are required to scan in using the COVID SAfe Check-In QR code or provide their details on paper records upon entry.
Social distancing is essential at all events. Please adhere to the 1 person per 4 square metre density rule, be aware of your surroundings, and follow the directions given by COVID Marshals.
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Play & Go
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!