SANTA’S WONDERLAND – THE MOST MAGICAL CHRISTMAS EXPERIENCE IN ADELAIDE
At the Adelaide Showground from Friday 7 December to Monday 24 December 2018.
WIN 4 TICKETS TO SANTA’S WONDERLAND: CLICK HERE TO ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY (ENDS TUESDAY 11 DECEMBER 2018)
If you’re looking for some Christmas magic for the family, then Santa’s Wonderland brings it in spades and will have your kids in awe. As soon as you walk in you’ll notice there are gigantic Christmas trees and sparkling decorations everywhere. The ten floats from the Credit Union Christmas Pageant also add to the festive atmosphere. This event is unlike anything we’ve seen in Adelaide before in this large scale.
We took kids ranging from 4 years old to 10 years old and they were so excited the minute we arrived. You could not get the smiles off their faces and they happily darted from ride to ride and all the attractions. The best thing about this (unlike going to the Royal Adelaide Show or a fair) is that you don’t need to restrict how many rides they can go on – in fact you’ll encourage them to go on as many as they can fit in, so that you get your money’s worth.
The magic of Christmas, and childhood in general, is a short time – it really goes by so quickly. Santa’s Wonderland is pure fun and it is a joy to see all the happy faces of kids enjoying themselves. This is a childhood memory that these children are sure to remember, and look back on fondly.
WHAT’S NEW THIS YEAR?
Everything is pretty much the same as last year. This is great for kids who have been before as there is familiarity about it but it’s been a whole year, so they’re excited to re-do those fun things again.
The main changes are:
- The new motorbike carousel ride replaces the second roller coaster from the last 2 years. Just a note that this ride is very loud – there is a loud horn that goes off frequently which some young kids may be scared of. Don’t worry, the operators are very good and will stop the ride if anyone is scared and needs to come off.
- The ice skating rink doesn’t have the blue kanga skating aides this year, which you could also sit on and push a child around on. This year they have a metal L shaped frame instead. The sled doesn’t seem to be there this year either.
- Pageant floats are different this year. You can see the brand new Pageant Express train float and Gingerbread House as well as others.
- There are more giant baubles this year (which is great – see my tip below about these), and extra decorations.
PLAY & GO TIPS FOR SANTA’S WONDERLAND
- Get to your session 15 to 30 minutes earlier so you can get your tickets scanned in and be there on time to experience the snow fall entry at the beginning.
- This is a great event to go together with family and friends. It’s always fun to go on rides with friends, and if you’re not going on rides it’s great to have friends to wait and watch with.
- The rides are pretty much all 2 per seat so keep this in mind with the number of people you have going along – even numbers of show riders make it easier so no one has to sit on their own.
- Be aware that there are no seats in the rides area for resting. There is some bench seating beside the ice skating rink and there are tables and chairs in front of the food stands, but nowhere else. Wear comfortable shoes as you may be on your feet for the whole 3 hours (unless you are sitting on rides).
- Kids will often get wet during ice skating so plan to do this towards the end of your 3 hour session or bring a change of pants, just in case.
- Apart from your ticket cost, will you need to spend any more money there? You can definitely go and not spend anything – steer the kids away from the carnival activities that you pay per try for and just take your own drinks and snacks. All the rides and other activities are all included in your ticket price.
- Make sure you take a photo of one of the lit up giant baubles with the kids inside, and also with the whole family – the light gives everyone a bit of a glow which is very flattering (like a filter) and it makes for a beautiful Christmas pic. Ask your photographer to get down a bit lower and shoot upwards, portrait (not landscape) so you get the whole bauble in the picture (and you’ll look taller ?).
- Can you take a stroller and is it wheelchair friendly? Yes, the pavilion is flat and there is room between the rides to move around. It’s best to take a smaller stroller though so you can get around easier.
- When are the session times less busy? If you can possibly go before school holidays start, go during the week then. Morning sessions during the week days are quieter and we found the Friday evening session to be quieter too. The weekends are always going to be the busiest, however the number of people per session is capped.
- Is it noisy? Yes it is. The live shows on stage with dancing and singing can be heard from afar and there are Christmas carols playing, plus many of the rides have sounds too. There are also announcements about what’s happening on the loudspeaker too. Plus if you go to a busy session especially on the weekend, there will be large numbers, and it is a closed pavilion so there will be the buzz of many people and excited kids (and possibly some screaming on rides).
What else is there to do apart from rides?
Apart from the rides there are plenty of other activities to do:
- There are selfie stops all around the room and they are really gorgeous for family photos.
- There are several bouncy castles – the Christmas/Santa ones, the Candyland ones and the huge ball pit one.
- There are 3 live stage shows which are great fun, with singing and dancing and interaction with the audience. Relf the Elf heads the cast and is a great entertainer.
- Write a letter to Santa and post in the mail box.
- Colouring in.
- Decorate your own Christmas bauble.
- Fill a bag of Reindeer food from the stables to take home for Christmas Eve.
- Mrs Christmas does story telling and is keen for a chat.
- The Christmas Activity Trail will send you all over the pavilion to do activities along the way.
- Visit Father Christmas here and get your photo with him. Book your session to avoid a long line up.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Santa’s Wonderland Facebook Page or their website here.
What: Santa’s Wonderland Christmas Event
When: Friday 7 December – Monday 24 December 2018
Where: Adelaide Showground | Goodwood Road, Wayville
Who: Christmas Loving Families
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!