Join UniSA at the Adelaide Planetarium, Adelaide University and stargazers at other locations around South Australia for an evening of fun and excitement as they try to break a Guinness World Record!
What is the World Record they are attempting to set? They are trying to set a new Guinness World Record for Most People Stargazing Across Multiple Venues. For this record, the participants will stargaze at the Moon through a telescope or binoculars for a 10-minute period simultaneously across multiple sites throughout Australia. The current World Record, set in 2015 by the Australian National University, stands at 7,960 people across 37 locations. They are aiming to set a record so large that it will be nearly impossible to break again.
UniSA at the Adelaide Planetarium
Th free community event will include a live screening of Stargazing Live with Brian Cox.
- 6:30pm: Event registration / Telescope collection
- 7.30pm: Stargazing Live broadcast commences
- (World Record attempt will take place between 7.30pm and 8.30pm)
- 9.30pm: Event concludes
*Gold Coin donation on entry*
The telescope will be 30mm in diameter, and includes an adjustable focus and even a small tripod. Telescopes will be handed out on the night and of course they are yours to keep. Please note: these telescopes are being sold on a cost recovery bases and no profit is made by the ABC on the sale of telescopes.
Purchased telescopes will only be available to collect on the night of the event at the venue when you register.
You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own telescopes or binoculars – please ensure you register for a ‘Single World Record Participant – BYO Telescope/Binoculars’ Ticket. Please note: any personal equipment brought to the events is at your own risk.
While there is no minimum / maximum age for participants, please bear in mind that World Record participants must be able to look through a telescope/binoculars for a 10 minute period while remaining in a specific area. Minors should be accompanied by a parent/guardian and be supervised at all times.
University of Adelaide & Adelaide University Space Society Star Party
Join the University of Adelaide for an evening of fun and excitement as they try to break a Guinness World Record! This free community event will include a live screening of Stargazing Live with Brian Cox.
Online allocation exhausted. BYO telescope or binoculars tickets available at door.
- 6.30pm: Event registration
- 7.30pm: Stargazing Live broadcast commences (World Record attempt will take place between 7.30pm and 8.30pm)
- 9.30pm: Event concludes
Location: University of Adelaide | Outside Darling West Lecture Theatre
Other Stargazing Party Locations Around South Australia
- Cowell Area School | click here for more info
- Golden Grove | Greenwith Scout Group | **event cancelled**
- Loxton North Sporting Club South Australian Astronomical Association | click here for more info
- Maitland Central Yorke School | Maitland Campus, Primary Oval Central Yorke School | click here for more info
- Modbury Heights | The Heights School Observatory | Astronomical Society of South Australia | click here for more info
- Norton Summit Primary School | click here for more info
- Port Augusta Scout Hall | click here for more info
- St Clair | The Brocas | click here for more info
- Wudinna Oval | click here for more info
For more information and all enquiries please visit the UniSA & Adelaide Planetarium Star Party Facebook event page and University of Adelaide & Adelaide University Space Society Star Party Facebook event page
What: UniSA & Adelaide Planetarium Star Party
When: Wednesday 23 May 2018 | 6.30pm – 9.3opm
Where: Adelaide Planetarium | UniSa Mawson Lakes, Mawson Lawes Blvd, Mawson Lakes | University of Adelaide | Outside Darling West Lecture Theatre | various locations around SA
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!