Rockpool discoveries, summer fruit harvests, early morning bushwalks, nature boat racing, balmy evenings by the water… get set for an endless summer of outdoor play with Nature Play SA’s list of ‘25 Things to Do in Summer’!
Download the list here
Print a copy for your family, pop it on the fridge, and see how many things your nature players can tick off the list this season!
25 Things to do in Summer in Adelaide:
- Explore a reef or rockpool and see how many sea creatures you can spot!
- As a family, choose a new natural place to visit and set out with picnic in tow for a day of discovery and adventure
- Discover seasonal food: learn when different summer fruits come into season and then harvest from your garden, at an orchard, or farm
- Get up early and go for a bushwalk, listening and spotting wildlife along your way!
- Make a nature craft decoration to hang from the Christmas tree
- Make a sand sculpture – or a sand city! – and decorate it with natural treasures
- Enjoy the waves: body surf, boogeyboard or learn to surf this summer!
- Paint pictures on cement with a container of water and a paintbrush
- Spend a balmy evening by the river or sea: swim, play frisbee or cricket, enjoy a casual dinner, and watch the sunset with your family
- Explore a Botanic Garden and enjoy the cool shade of the trees
- Try your luck at fishing, crabbing or yabbying!
- Plant a summer garden or pot plant (try strawberries, lettuce and cucumbers!)
- Kayak or stand-up-paddleboard on a river, lake or the sea
- Find a beach known for cockling and do the ‘cockle twist’ – feel the waves lap against your feet, locate the cockles with your toes, then see if you can scoop them up!
- Go camping and look up at the night sky (head somewhere wild or pitch a tent in your own backyard)
- Create a summer nature play journal to record your adventures and natural finds
- Look at the world from a different perspective: take off your shoes and climb a tree!
- Water your summer garden first thing in the morning or as the sun sets – what changes can you notice from the day before?
- Snorkel at the beach and see what lies beneath the surface
- Create a nature boat from natural materials – such as seed pods, bark, washed up cuttlefish, sticks, seaweed and leaves – then float or race them in a creek or the sea!
- Discover the world at dusk! Head out for a walk with your family, and see what you can discover as day turns to night
- Enjoy the freedom and sensory delight of mud play at home – then run through the sprinkler to clean off!
- Build a cubby or natural shelter in your garden, at the park, or somewhere wild
- Get an adventure backpack ready with food and cool water, then head out on a family geocaching* mission – locate caches in your neighbourhood or venture to somewhere new
- Make homemade iceblocks or lemonade and enjoy them outside on a hot day!
Kids-Remember to get permission if you go out on your own, and take a drink bottle, sunscreen, and a hat!
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Nature Play SA website here
What: 25 Things to do in Summer | Nature Play SA
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!
Image source: 25 Things to do in Summer flyer Nature Play SA