The Kardi Yarta playground is located on the eastern corner of Victoria Road and Pelican Point Road in Osborne , an area formerly referred to as “Lefevre Cultural Park”. The project, designed by Defence SA and built by Renewal SA, was completed in 2013 and included consultation with Year 4 and 5 students at North Haven Primary School.
In recognition of Kaurna heritage, Kaurna Warra Pirtyandi (convened by the University of Adelaide) endorsed “Kardi Yarta” as the park’s official name, Kardi Yarta being the aboriginal phase for “emu country”.
This site aims to embrace and communicate Aboriginal dreaming stories which are significant to the northern Lefevre Peninsula while providing a naturalised play space for children aged 3 to 12 to explore. There is a specific area dedicated to the indigenous games, based on games contained in the Yulunga Traditional Indigenous Games Book.
The physical improvements to this area included the following:
- Shared use (bicycle & pedestrian) path loop within the site linking to adjacent path networks
- Installation of picnic tables, seats, bins, a BBQ and bike racks
- Installation of entry and interpretative signage
- Rock lined swale with interactive water tap play element
- Amphitheatre – large open area suitable for community events
- Multiple seated rest points with “emu” and other shelters
- Grassed and landscaped areas (including trees, shrubs and ground covers and direct seeding to storm water management areas)
- Car parking area adjacent to Pelican Point Road
- Shared use connections across Pelican Point which links into the Biodiversity Park cycle and pedestrian network
Play Equipment includes:
- Tread Chimes
- Lion Roarer
- Flying Fox
- Net Mountain
- Quad Swing
- Big Swing
- Big Foot Slide
- Basketball Tower
- Double Rocker
- Solo Drum
- Jumbo Flexi Sway
- Spiral Spinner
- Switch Swing Donut
- Embankment Slide
- Spinner Bowl
- Rubber Eggs
For more information visit the City of Port Adelaide Enfield website.
What: North Haven Adventure Playground – Kardi Yarta
When: Every day
Where: Corner of Victoria Road & Pelican Point Road, Osborne (see map above
Who: All Ages
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: All photos by Renewal SA
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!