South Australia’s first LEGO® Certified Store at Westfield Marion
Follow the yellow brick road (or at least, the colourful floor tiles) to an iconic new LEGO® store celebrating one of the globe’s most loved toy brands.
by Carla Caruso
Were your kids glued to the couch whenever LEGO Masters (and Hamish Blake) was on the telly? Then they’re going to love-love-LOVE this news.
South Australia’s very first LEGO® certified store has opened at Westfield Marion, just in time for Christmas.
Located on Level 2 (next to The Universal Store), the 197sqm store is a multi-sensory retail experience that’ll inspire local brick fans of all ages.
The store boasts a wide selection of LEGO sets, including hard-to-find and limited-edition varieties (think Harry Potter, Star Wars, Disney, Creator, and more). There’ll also be activities and events that are only available in-store.
Other nifty shop features include:
- A massive pick-a-brick wall (where you can hunt for ever-changing, individual pieces that are often rare and hard to find)
- A digital box, where almost any LEGO boxed set can be scanned and come to life
- A build-a-minifigure play station (press your palm to the scanner to find out which figure you most resemble), and
- An engraver, where you can get a brick keyring personalised with your name (or your littlie’s).
The store also pays tribute to its location with a large mosaic of Glenelg Jetty on the wall. (This took 232 hours to build and comprises a whopping 74,598 LEGO bricks.) There’s a larger-than-life 3D LEGO cyclist, in a nod to the Tour Down Under, too.
Last February, investment company Alceon and The LEGO Group announced an agreement, with Alceon acquiring rights to open new LEGO Certified Stores across Oz and New Zealand. Other iconic LEGO certified stores are located in New York, London, Shanghai, Denmark, Dubai, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Auckland.
Alceon’s executive director, Richard Facioni, said:
“LEGO Certified Stores are renowned globally for creativity and imagination, as one of the world’s most loved brands meets a custom-built retail concept.”
Get set to … ready, steady, build!
What we like about it
- Having a local spot to source hard-to-find and limited-edition sets – great for pressies!
- The shop’s fun, interactive features, where you can do everything from make boxed sets come to life or find out which mini-figure you most resemble.
- Its giant pick-a-brick wall with ever-changing, rare, individual pieces on offer.
- The play table for kids (can’t go to a LEGO store without mucking around with some bricks!) and the cool displays set up.
Things to consider
With LEGO being so popular, and the store being new, you can expect it to be busy. So be patient 🙂
You’ll find the store on Level 2 at Westfield Marion (next to The Universal Store).
For more information, please visit the Westfield Marion website.
What: South Australia’s first LEGO® certified store
When: Opens Saturday 12 December 2020 (open during Westfield Marion opening hours)
Where: Level 2, Westfield Marion | 297 Diagonal Rd, Oaklands Park
Who: LEGO-loving kids and adults
All photos by James Elsby for Play & Go Adelaide
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!