Yorketown Playground. A riot of colour and fun!
by Katrina Gogel
Yorketown is one of Southern Yorke Peninsulas picturesque inland towns, and the hub of the SYP. If you’re travelling the region anytime soon be sure to call in and check out the towns fantastic local services and wonderful playground. Your kids will thank you for it!
Arriving in the carpark at Weaners Flat Reserve, you’ll be met by a riot of colour. The huge, colourful playground has something on offer for everyone, and sits beside one of the areas 200 salt lakes.
One side of the huge playground is toddler friendly – offering a small slide, toddler swings, multiple rockers, a see saw and small boat. With a soft, sandy base, it’s a great area for little ones to explore.
The rest of the playground is all about the older kids, and what fun they will have here! There’s a large climbing dragon and pyramid, a climbing structure with purple slides, and located nearby the toilets is an exciting obstacle course.
Start at one end of the obstacle course and balance, swing, and climb your way across to the slide at the other end.
Prepare to be ‘wowed’ by the stunning artwork on the toilet block privacy screen, painted by Yorke Peninsula artist Darryl Lewis. Completed in January this year, it’s a beautiful sight and adds even more colour to the already vibrant play space.
A nature play area is also a recent addition, and is located in the reserve between the playground and lake. It’s nothing fancy – just some strategically placed logs for climbing and balancing on, but little ones will be sure to enjoy testing them out.
In addition to the play area there is a 1-kilometre walking trail that takes you around the lake. Commencing at the lookout ramp, the flat (and pram friendly!) trail meanders between the lake and the town’s golf course.
There are beautiful, nature inspired mosaic plaques situated along the trail.
Towards the end of the walk you will come across an awesome BMX track. It looks like it doesn’t see much use anymore, but would still be plenty of fun to ride on (Master six has requested we bring his bike into town with us next time we visit so he can test it out)!
And, if luck is on your side, you might time your visit with a day that the Yorketown Progress Association Hall (located next to the carpark) is open and selling freshly made hot donuts. On our most recent visit during the winter school holidays, the ‘hot donuts’ signs were out and we were able to enjoy a delicious treat after our walk and play.
What we like about Weaners Flat Reserve:
- The varying amount of colourful play equipment, which makes this playground suitable for all ages
- The beautiful artwork near the public toilets
- The lovely walking trail with pretty mosaic artwork along the way
- It’s a quiet playground. We have had this place to ourselves many times
- Hot donuts!
- Public toilets with disabled access and baby change room
- Sheltered BBQ area
- Park benches and picnic tables
- Large gravel carpark
Things to consider:
- It is not fenced, however you are far enough away from the road to not have to be constantly looking over your shoulder
- There is no shade covering the playground, so be sure to bring sunscreen and hats
- Hot donuts are available various Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays
Things to see and do nearby:
- Take a stroll down the lovely Yorketown main street and stop in at the bakery or one of the friendly cafes for a bite to eat
- Pay a visit to Ballywire Farm and Tea Rooms, located between Yorketown and Warooka. Not only can you visit the farm animals, but you can play a round of mini golf here too
- Go for a drive around the outskirts of Yorketown and see if you can find a pink Salt Lake
- Get up close to a giant wind turbine at the Wattle Point Windfarm lookout
- Visit Troubridge Hill Lighthouse – one of only a handful of brick lighthouses in Australia
- Drive to Edithburgh (approx. ten minutes) and go for a swim at the FREE tidal pool- my kids love it! (see our review here)
Stansbury Road, Yorketown
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Yorke Peninsula Council website.
What: Weaners Flat Reserve
Where: Stansbury Road, Yorketown
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: All photos by Katrina Gogel 2019
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!