Mother’s Day Recipe Ideas from the Adelaide Central Market
Adelaide Central Market have provided a selection of recipes perfect for Mother’s Day coming up this weekend. This includes caramelised pear and ginger crumble, chocolate beetroot brownies and chocolate mousse, toasted almond & mixed berry tart.
Adelaide Central Market has over 70 traders under one roof and is open on Friday from 7am-9pm and Saturday 7am-3pm for all of your fresh produce.
Caramelised Pear & Ginger Crumble
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup verjuice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp chopped glace ginger
- 6 Beur Bosc pears, peeled, cored & cut into chunks
- 125g plain flour
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g brown sugar
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- In a medium saucepan, place sugar, dessert wine & verjuice together over a low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to the boil, before adding cinnamon, ginger & pear. Simmer for 4 minutes, then remove from heat.
- For the crumble, rub the flour, butter, sugar, oats, coconut & ginger together until mixture is well combined & looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a large ovenproof dish or six individual ones & sprinkle over the crumble.
- Place baking dish on an oven tray & bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 220g beetroot
- 250g unsalted butter, diced
- 180g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 250g rapadura sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal plain flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square brownie tin with baking paper.
- Place beetroot in small saucepan covered in water, over a medium-high heat. Bring to boil and cook until tender.
- Drain, allow to cool, before removing skin and cutting into chunks. Place beetroot chunks in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, chocolate, zest and sugar together over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Add pureed beetroot, eggs, flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger and walnuts, stirring until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out of centre with moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.
Chocolate Mousse, Toasted Almond & Mixed Berry Tart
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 g good quality milk chocolate
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 300ml pure cream
- 300 g mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced), lightly grease a 25cm round loose bottom fluted tart tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Place almonds and sugar in a food processor, pulsing until mixture resembles a fine crumb.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract, pulsing until mixture is well combined and starts coming together.
- Pour almond mixture into prepared tart tin, pressing firmly and evenly into the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Place tart tin on a baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tart shell from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the chocolate mousse, pour boiling water into a large saucepan, about a quarter full and sit a large bowl on top, making sure the bottom does not touch the water.
- Add chocolate, stirring occasionally until chocolate melts. Remove bowl from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick and mousse like.
- Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate, folding gently to combine.
- In a large clean mixing bowl, whisk cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add a third of the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture, folding gently to combine, to help loosen the mixture. Add remaining cream, folding gently until combined.
- To assemble tart, spoon chocolate mousse into the cooled tart shell, spreading evenly with the back of the spoon.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for 2 hours, to allow mousse to set.
- To serve, top with fresh mixed berries.
For more information and all enquiries please visit the Adelaide Central Market website.
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: supplied
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!