This is a very simple take on one of Australia’s favourite treats, the lamington. Perfect for morning tea, picnics or an after school treat, these are super easy to make with kids and a lot less messy than making lamingtons from scratch! Plus unlike lamingtons you won’t need to start the recipe the day before.
Traditionally made with a vanilla cake base, you can choose a different flavour if you prefer, such as chocolate. If you don’t have time to make the cupcakes from scratch you can pick up a cupcake packet mix from you local supermarket.
You will need a muffin/cupcake tray, patty pans, bowl and electric mixer. Recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
2/3 cup caster sugar
1t vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (sifted)
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (or 160° fan-forced)
- Line tray 12 with patty pans
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and using an electric mixer beat until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one
- Add half the flour and half the milk and continue mixing, repeat with remaining flour and milk
- Spoon the mixture into the patty cases approx 3/4 full
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (until cooked and golden-brown)
- Remove tray from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack
- Allow to cool completely before icing
1 cup icing sugar
1T cocoa powder
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
Simply combine the icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl and combine, gradually adding water until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. Ice the cupcakes and immediately sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
(little Australia flags were purchased from Coles supermarket)
At Play & Go Adelaide we make every effort to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. We recommend confirming times, dates and details directly before making any plans as details may be subject to change.
Image Source: Play & Go
Want to get all the latest events and activities straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our weekly email newsletter below to keep up to date with our latest posts and find out all the best events & activities for Adelaide families. Newsletters are only sent once a week, and you may sometimes get a special offer exclusively for our subscribers only!